Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
fka Jwandres
245 Posts
hey if anybody is getting rid of some 4x4 shocks PM me... i am in need of a lift...

·
Registered
718 Posts
What tire sizes are you guys running with just the simple 4x4 front spring swap??
im still running 265s even with my ICON lift because 285s will hit the wheel well on full compression.

285s will fit with the 4x4 COs but under full compression youre gonna hit the wheel well no matter what lift you have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did this last weekend!

I used front and rear springs and struts from a 2010 on my 2007

The only thing with using the 2010 front coilovers is the bottom is a LITTLE wider than the mount on the lower control arm.

A little grinding fixed this :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the 4x4 coil overs in my 4x2 for about 10K miles and they have been great off and on road. my fj sits level except when I put a load or people in the back. offroad with a load I bottom out easily (if you have seen me offroad I drive it like I stole it). I had a set of 4x4 rear coils sitting around so I decided to compare the difference to my stock 4x2 coils and swap them out (I already knew they were different part numbers). tha main difference is that the 4x4 coils have 6 rings in the coils where the 4x2 have 5. the material dia is a bit thicker and overall the 4x4 coils are about 2" longer. this gives the 4x4 coil a stiffer ride and a more progressive spring rate. I put these in the back of my 4x2 along with my already installed 4x4 coil over in the front. Im now sniffing the ground again but I should be able to fix that with some spacers from toytec in the front. overall the ride is much stiffer and responsive, just as it should be. im pleased with this upgrade and I would highly recommend changing out the rear 4x2 springs when changing the front coilovers. put some spacers in the front and ill have about a 2inch lift over stock and a firmer ride...all for under $100.:rawr:
If I change out the fronts with the oem 4x4 shocks/springs and for the rear only change out the shocks for the 4x4 oem ones I will be level?

I do not carry any heavy loads....is this a good set up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my 2wd for about a month now and love it. I have test drove 4x4's and appreciate the power gain and ride quality of the 4x2. Was happy to find a 4x2 section on here as a new member.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, looks like the last post in this thread was 2011. Let's see who's still following.

I've got a 2008 4x2. I have recently acquired 2 inch spacers for leveling. I also had a friend offer me his stock 4x4 front and rear shocks and coils. Should/can I use all of these parts? What would be my best option/configuration with the parts mentioned.

Hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience or knowledge on the subject.

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just picked up an '08 4x2. Anyone getting rid of their stock 4x4 parts in the Phoenix area? I can come pick them up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just installed a set of 2008 4X4 coilovers on my 07 4x2. Ride height is now perfect for me... for now. No more droopy front end. Front springs are noticeable stiffer but still a smooth ride. Just less noticible nose dive when stopping quickly. It is amazing how different the truck feels with the nose end just a little higher up in the air. It feels like a proper FJ now.

Heights from fender flair to floor:

Before (front):
Drivers Side: 33 1/2"
Pass Side: 33 3/4"

After (front):
Drivers Side: 35 5/8"
Pass Side: 35 5/8"

Before:

After:

81 - 95 of 95 Posts