Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Dustin. I purchased my '07 FJC at the beginning of '11 and have always had big plans for it. Not long after I bought her I stumbled upon the forums and I went downhill after that. At that point in my life I had recently gone through a divorce, was on Title 10 orders in preparation for a deployment to Afghanistan with the Oklahoma Army National Guard, and in general at a low point physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I needed a project. I needed something that could keep my mind occupied and something fun to which I look forward after I returned from the deployment. The forums provided me more than enough information and ideas to keep me busy. Two weeks before we boarded the plan to Afghanistan we received a change of mission. Instead of going with the rest of our brigade to the thick of the war, we were diverted to the deserts of Kuwait. Kuwait was safe, it was cushy, and it was boring, which a very good internet connection.

I kept my sanity over there by looking forward to working on my FJ. I didn't post a whole lot while I was there, but I did send private messages to a few people. Heck, if my emails to Delancy counted I'd have a few thousand on my post count easy! Anyway, I spend quite a bit of time planning by build, ordering parts, and waiting patiently until I returned home. April 15th was a big day.

April 15th was the day I dropped off my FJ to DieselToys in San Antonio, TX for the Todd and his crew to convert my FJ over to a diesel engine. (Delancy has been waiting VERY patiently for me to post this!) I made my deposit long before the deployment. There was year waiting list and, well, I wasn't around for that year, so it worked out pretty well. Normally, it would have taken this long for the conversion, but there was a mishap with Customs and the ship the container was on. After the ship was rerouted, the engines repacked, and resent to the US, everything started up again. Here are a few photos to tide you over:

When I have time I will post the rest of build later, and discuss what all I have waiting at Delancy's to put on her, and what else I plan to do later on. I'd been promising this thread for a while, so tonight I told him I would at least start it.

I tried to call Liesel my midlife life crisis...well, my first-third of a life crisis. (I'm going to be an old fart, so I don't want to short change my heritage of longevity). The new woman in my life told me not to call it that anymore. She's right. I did this because I wanted to do it and I could.

Liesel is a work vehicle, personal ride, and my daily driver. My woman is on board with the project, my plans for Liesel, and supports how I will incorporate her into my work, charity projects, and so on. As all of those things progress I will keep you all informed.

Delancy, thanks again for your help and your friendship! It won't be long until we're in your driveway turning wrenches on this girl and taking her out for a spin.

Stay tuned everyone, this will get interesting!!!

Also, if your interested in seeing all of the photos Todd has posted so far go to dustin

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more of your build.
I would love to throw in a diesel.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Very cool. Chris had shot me a PM or two about some of your other parts, so I was wondering how this was going. Is the FJC drivable now with the diesel or is it still being installed?

How does the OEM ECU interface with the deisel engine? Or is it run as a standalone setup? Still runs fly by wire for the throttle body? Sorry if idiotic questions, I know little about diesels other than what I gleaned off swapping a GM diesel into a custom hybrid chevry equinox as part of a college competition they had going on. I was on the exhaust team though so more about urea injection, than actually understanding the engine control system.

Fantastic project! Look forward to seeing more details. Cool to see what folks are doing with the FJC's these days :cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Looking forward to more info on the diesel transformation! :bigthumb:

·
Banned
5,937 Posts
Excellent project. You couldn't have chosen a better individual for advice and support, either.
Thank You for your service in the U.S. Military, Sir.
Congratulations on the new Lady in your life, also. Supports a new outlook on life; Makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Nice project! :rocker: That´s what I planned couple years ago, but it felt so big/unknown project than I skipped it and chose CNG. It is too expensive to drive gasoline with this size engine (gasoline cost >$6.4/gallon, CNG about half of that (equivalent)).

BMC seems to be done too (dustin photos), so I am expecting bigger tires and lift. This is the right way. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Nice project! :rocker: That´s what I planned couple years ago, but it felt so big/unknown project than I skipped it and chose CNG. It is too expensive to drive gasoline with this size engine (gasoline cost >$6.4/gallon, CNG about half of that (equivalent)).

BMC seems to be done too (dustin photos), so I am expecting bigger tires and lift. This is the right way. :cheers:
Whats the actual energy balance? Haven't done the math myself but price of gasoline vs CNG or LNG doesn't mean much without the energy balance comparison.

edit: btw...surprised this awesome thread only has 8 posts since yesterday. Folks have been talking about this for years and I'd think would be more interested.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
38,657 Posts
Interested to see how this works out. Thanks for posting it up.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Very interesting post!

Please bring it to the mountains when you are done for a test. I guarantee you will have some fun with it.

Oh, and bring the rest of them Okies with you if they want to come....

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
This is awesome! Can't wait to read more about it and hopefully see it in person sometime. BTW, I clicked on the Dustin link and the page was blank...did he take down the pics?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Glad you got it done man!! Let me know next time your at Delancy's! I'd live to see that thing in person!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Whats the actual energy balance? Haven't done the math myself but price of gasoline vs CNG or LNG doesn't mean much without the energy balance comparison.
1 kilogram of CNG corresponds to 1.7 litres of gasoline (5 pounds of CNG corresponds to 1 gallon of gasoline).
BTW, I clicked on the Dustin link and the page was blank...did he take down the pics?
I can still see them: http://www.dieseltoys.com/dustin

·
Registered
453 Posts
thats awesome... ive been waiting for someone to actually follow through with it... nice to see someone who actually did! i cant wait to see how the rest of your build turns out :bigthumb:

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
YES! Finally a build a thread. I know there are weight limitations on towing capabilities, but I'd like to hear how it pulls VS the 1GR-FE.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts