Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there statistics anywhere on how long an unused tire lasts? For example, if I have a stack of tires in my garage and ten years down the road I put them on a vehicle, would they still be safe?

I am sure many out there have different sets of tires for different road conditions, just wondering how long you keep them regardless of tread wear.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This video is kinda long, but also interesting. It says to replace them every six years regardless of age. I know it's the news, but I have heard the same number other places as well.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Each tire made has a production date in the code on the tire... All manufactures do recommend replacement about every 6 yrs regardless of tread left. The materials used to make the tire will deteriorate over the years,, Normally if you begin seeing small tiny cracks throughout the side wall its time for new ones

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I stick to the 6 year rule. Like mad_mechanix mentioned, all DOT approved tires will have a date code, which is four digits. The first two are the week of the year, and the last two are the last two digits of the year. I have found that some tire stores like to mount the tires with the date code on the inside, so I always request the date code be outside. In addition, some will not hesitate to sell you a five or six year old tire, so I always ask to see the tires before they are mounted. If they won't let me, I won't buy them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Normally if you begin seeing small tiny cracks throughout the side wall its time for new ones
That explains my multitude of issues with my Treadwright tires as of late. They've already replaced one, and now two more are showing small cracks. Get what you pay for I suppose.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
This is a big issue with exotic cars that don't get driven a lot- maybe 1,000 miles a year. it isn't so much that they crack after six years, but the rubber gets very hard and the tires loose traction. I've never worn out a set of tires on a Ferrari, they "age out" before they "wear out", I have a new set going on a 512TR this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts