Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I been looking into getting a 3'' lift kit installed for my non modified 2007 FJ Cruiser w/ 70k miles. I need some opinions and advice on what i should go with here is what i am thinking.

spacer kit lift

Struts and coils lift

Coil overs lift

Also what is the difference between a strut and coil lift vs coil over lift?

I don't plan to do any aggressive offloading with the setup and I am looking to add at least 33inch tires on the FJ in addition to getting the lift kit installed at a local 4x4 shop.

Any and all advice would be helpful on which type of lift kit i should use.

Thanks,
domtini

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Coil over lift is for the front. Strut and coil lift is for the back. Have you tried the search function yet? You aren't the first to ask about lifts...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
If you want to go the less expensive route I'd avoid the spacer kit and buy bilstein 5100s, it also gives you the option to convert them to adjustable coilovers later with the Toytec kit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Definitely avoid spacers if you can, people run them but they can lead to some nasty issues down the road. The cheaper and very good setups would be Bilstein like ajfj33 suggested, there are some good forums on them. OME would be your next choice, followed by either Ironman or Toytec. Those I believe are the cheapest options unless you find some good deals on used gear.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
At the very bottom end I would start with an OME (Old Man Emu) or a Bilstein 5,100. Spacer lifts are more bad than good. I started with a spacer lift that was given to me and (don't go there) then i installed a Bilstein 5,100 lift set at 2 3/4" up front and ran the 2" puck in the rear. That never let me down and costs about $100 a wheel + labor. My current FOX exists at a total different level in ride and performance. The 5,100 set up I ran the stock springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys overall i won't be doing the install myself a local shop will be the struts and coils were estimated to be $1800 w/install and the coilovers were estimated at $2200. I don't plan to do much off roading with the setup besides getting to campsites in the sierras in the summer and skiing in the winters.

Any expert advice would be helpful in getting a setup that would fit my needs.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
You don't actually need a lift unless you want one for looks. A lot of guys get their FJCs in some pretty hairball conditions with stock height tires and the stock suspension.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I would stick with CowboyCEO's advice...been down that road of the cheap spacer lifts, don't .

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I would get very specific with those estimates and find out what you are paying for. That kind of money should buy you some pretty nice mods. Consider buying the parts and paying for the install separately.

I run Icons and can tell you that, while they are great for me, I could have also stayed stock and I would have lost nothing for 95% of what I do. I do like the looks and it does ride much better. My not so short wife hates having to climb up into it though.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
$1,800!!! HA! Score the parts and ask local FJ'ers for installs. It isn't rocket science. If you are local to the Bay Area and scored the parts, say some 5,100's $100 x4 and some rear pucks $50(?) I am sure I could find some reputable local dude that would make it right for $400 labor. BAM! Lifted right for under a grand!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
domtini, there's some pretty solid advice being given here. Voight's right in that you can ride a ton of trails with other FJC guys without a suspension lift. A good set of 285/70 tires will go a long way to providing you a capable off-roading rig.

For the $4000 estimate you have on a suspension lift, that will purchase a high-end system from someone such as Icon. Once you've spent that kind of $'s, many have had buyer's remorse set in. Then you'll have to add taller tires to achieve the look you're after.

Get out and ride trails with others. Test your skills and the capability of the stock suspension. You may just prove to yourself the lift isn't justified. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CowboyCEO ya im in the bay area over in Palo Alto just moved here from Ohio last year with the FJ and trying to finally add some black wheels and some new tires to the ride. I don't have minimal skill in modifications but its been a long time and i don't have the tools/shop to do it, thats why i have reached out to some local shops to see what they offer. Like I said overall just trying to get it set up for some 18inch rims and 31-33inch tires. Something that looks good works but doesn't break the bank. Also the shop said they would do a differential drop to take some stress of the U joint when they add the lift maybe thats where the extra cost is coming from???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Codger, Would i be able to able to purchase some 18inch x9 rims with a 285/70 tire and not have to make any suspension modifications. I have attached a few photos to show you my FJ. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks voight whats the largest size of tire would fit without having it rub or do any modifications?

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Eeeek!!! Nixa on the diff drop!!! That is something that you don't need (at all) for a 3" lift. I have over 100,000,000 miles between me and all of my worldly FJ-Crew that will tell you the same thing.

By the way, That is a fresh looking '07 TRD! Welcome to Cal!

Plus, all of the answers to the questions you have had so far can be answered by typing your question into the SEARCH box in the upper left hand side of the Home page.

**The tires you have on there are 31". All of the FJ's in that pic down there are 33" with 3" lifts and that is PISMO!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks voight whats the largest size of tire would fit without having it rub or do any modifications?
I think a 285/17r18 would fit with a bmc and maybe a leveling kit

·
Registered
696 Posts
Codger, Would i be able to able to purchase some 18inch x9 rims with a 285/70 tire and not have to make any suspension modifications. I have attached a few photos to show you my FJ. Would love to hear your thoughts.
You've got a great looking FJC! Are you confident there's no lift already? Just gives the appearance of having a couple inches added.

285/70/18 tires are 33.7" high and 11.2" wide.
You'll probably need a 2" lift and a body mount chop to fit those tires.
I would 2nd Voight's advice. Here's another thought - 18" tires & wheels are typically more expensive than 16" or 17". I have a set of 285/75-17's that have about the same height as the 285/70-18" but run on an OEM wheel. (I'm cheap!) :wink

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You've got a great looking FJC! Are you confident there's no lift already? Just gives the appearance of having a couple inches added.
+1 looks lifted already. Unless those are really small tires :lol:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it maybe leveled. They area stock standard tires that came with the vehicle when i purchased it from the dealership used with 52k on it. I can look again tonight and give you guys exact numbers of the tires.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts