Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, not 100% this is in the right forum... if it's not please move it. And I've posted this same question on IH8MUD so for those of you that look at both forums sorry.. I'm just trying to get as much input as I can

Anyway...after getting a nice promotion at work, and with a hefty tax rebate coming my way I've decided it's time to lift the FJ. I'm thinking of shelling out about $2k but I'm in need of some opinions.
I've narrowed it down my modding to the following.

1. Need new tires... looking at 285/70/17 BFG AT
2. Really want TRD wheels... thus changing the tires to 285/70/16

The tires are probably gonna cost $850-900 for set of five. and the wheels are another $650ish. Now I can sell my stock rims and tires, (only have 5k on them, with no scratches or nicks) to help offset some of that cost... but obviously not all of it.

So then comes the lift options..
Originally I wanted the Icon/Donahoe Stage 1 lift with Total Chaos UCAs. Although I don't wheel that hard... I like knowing my cruiser is more capable then I might use it for. But that comes at a price.. lift is $1,500 and the UCAs another $675

My other choice was the sway-a-way hybrid kit from MetelTech, but again still looking at over $1k for the lift plus the UCAs.

Now despite not being my first choice I'm leaning towards the OME lift w/ the Total Chaos UCAs total is just over $1k. And then I still have some cash left over for my wheels and tires.

Now that all that's out there.. what are your guys thoughts? Should I ditch the TRD wheels? Should I keep saving and pick up a coilover lift vs the OME?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'm very happy with my OME lift but can't really offer perspective as it's my first lift on any rig. BTW, the TRD wheels are 16".:bigthumb:

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you have the money.....nothing beats the look of 6" lifts. But looks is really the main benefit (sm off road ability, which is easily debatable). The OME lifts are the "work horses" of the FJ lifts. There good but not as smooth riding or adjustable as the coilover suspensions such as the Icon, King or SAW lifts.....but half the price too. In my opinion which is what your asking for here.....the OME heavy is the best choice if you plan on carrying or pulling lots of weight. The adjustable coil overs will give you the nicest ride. The 6" lifts look great and from I have read, ride quite nice as well. So in my opinion utility = OME, ride comfort = adjustable coil over set up, excellent looks and larger tire choice = 6" suspension lifts. You will be happy with any of the above. Rim choice will look great as well. Good luck and don't forget to post in the members build section so others can learn from your work. Tuff decission :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
gave you a lengthy reply on other forum you posted...so wont bore anyone from reading my verbose reply as I pontificate on the fight between good and evil...or more commonly known as MY VENDOR IS BETTER THAN YOUR VENDOR>...LOL

Good luck...hope my info helps I gave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback so far, please keep it coming. I'm really torn with the lift thing, part of me says go OME and get the UCA's and just be happy with that. But then I see the coilovers and think "the FJ needs these"... lol.

Thanks again and keep the opinions going.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I would say if you don't wheel too hard then the OME route would be best for you. It provides the lift you need for bigger tires and performance that many on here are happy with. I personally went with coilovers because I needed to be able to lower them a bit to fit in my garage and I liked the idea of adjustable dampening. I have the Walker Evans setup with chromoly a arms and love it. Haven't wheels too much since I put it in but I love the ride quality even with 285/75/16 M/Ts :D. If you like the TRD wheels, go OME...I don't feel that's a shortcut, just you'll be able to get more sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback so far, please keep it coming. I'm really torn with the lift thing, part of me says go OME and get the UCA's and just be happy with that. But then I see the coilovers and think "the FJ needs these"... lol.

Thanks again and keep the opinions going.

a little correction.....all FJs have coil overs. The front setup is a coil spring over a strut(shock) all mounted and assembled as one unit once bolted together using spring compressor. So the OME can replace the whole setup or just the coil over springs up front.

the rear are coil springs with separate shock like we are used to on trucks.

now if you are talking about adjustable coil over setup on front...that would be slightly different in allowing you to stiffen or loosen suspension up front depending on conditions.

I still highly recommend the ToyTec kit with OME coil overs and springs with their OME shocks. If getting a new heavy bumper and winch in front then would go with HEAVY front and MEDIUM rear. You will not be disappointed.

This setup will allow you to run 33 inch tires (295s) without doing the body chop.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've narrowed it down my modding to the following.

1. Need new tires... looking at 285/70/17 BFG AT
2. Really want TRD wheels... thus changing the tires to 285/70/16

The tires are probably gonna cost $850-900 for set of five. and the wheels are another $650ish. Now I can sell my stock rims and tires, (only have 5k on them, with no scratches or nicks) to help offset some of that cost... but obviously not all of it.

So then comes the lift options..
Originally I wanted the Icon/Donahoe Stage 1 lift with Total Chaos UCAs. Although I don't wheel that hard... I like knowing my cruiser is more capable then I might use it for. But that comes at a price.. lift is $1,500 and the UCAs another $675

My other choice was the sway-a-way hybrid kit from MetelTech, but again still looking at over $1k for the lift plus the UCAs.

Now despite not being my first choice I'm leaning towards the OME lift w/ the Total Chaos UCAs total is just over $1k. And then I still have some cash left over for my wheels and tires.

Now that all that's out there.. what are your guys thoughts? Should I ditch the TRD wheels? Should I keep saving and pick up a coilover lift vs the OME?

Thanks for the advice.
This sounds like my thinking! My problem is I don't/can't justify spending 3 or 4k on the truck all at once! I have a house that I want to put money into, a boat that I want to buy, trips that I want to take.... you get the idea!!!

My solution, (so far and not written in stone) is this...
First, I'm looking at painting the stock rims black sometime soon. $100 worth of materials and a few days at work instead of $1000 for new rims.

Second, a set of stock size MT tires when the Dunlops are worn, probably next summer, $1000.

Third, a year later is the lift, right now I'm thinking Icon but who knows. I'm thinking that if I get something thats adjustable I can leave the ride hight low enough that the stock size tired don't look like donuts and when I get a new set of bigger rubber I can adjust my lift then. I haven't looked into it yet but if I leave the ride height "about" stock control arms shouldn't be an issue so I can get them when I do the bigger tires, this may just be my own flawed logic though!!

I'm definitely not an expert in any of this but IMO what ever you do it will be something new and you will be happy with it!! My lights were the first thing I did, something new was on the truck and I didn't NEED to do anything else to it. Now they don't feel new any more... I need to mod something... NOW!!!!! (bumpers, bazel, mirrors, watch out!!):lol:

Good luck with your decision!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts