Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the FJ community but not to the world of lifting trucks as I have restored 3 CJ7's over the past 10 years, but all this newer technology is like starting from scratch! Anyway, I have a 2008 AT that I will be driving 20-30,000 miles a year for work and I want to run an 18" aftermarket wheel and larger tire (not sure on the size yet). Can you all help point me in the right direction as far as an inexpensive lift (not surewhat kind at this point) that will suit my needs to get the more aggressive look but keep a good highway road manner?

Please advise on:

LIFT:

WHEEL/TIRE COMBO with BACKSPACING specs:

I'm not gonna wheel it, thats what my CJ's are for! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Welcome! we wont hold the 3 CJ7's against you...:lol:
Lift, tire size and wheels will all come together as a package but all seperately determmine the other. SOme kits require certain back spacing.

Basics..
WHat do you intend on doing with your FJ?
I ask because there is alot of kits from 2" leveling, to full 6" set-ups that many are running on there DD!

What is you idea of inexpensive?
every one has different bank accounts

And Last.. Preference...
Some hate 6" inch lifts, others Hate stock... Its all in what the look your happy with
I for one have 6" pro-comp and 1.25" body lift on 35"s, drives like a dream. cost alot ot most Owners....But I love the Bigger lift and tire look Plus I do alot of mud and trails and needed the extra clearance.
Read around You have alo tof options and TONS of pics to fumble through for Ideas:cheers:

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Well lucky for you the fj is fairly cheap to lift. It can be done for as little as $150 for leveling spacers in front or you can spend $3500 and get a very nice coilover, upper control arm (uca) rear springs and rear shocks. Kits from fox, king, icon, camberg and few others are very nice and offer a great ride.
As far as stuffing an 18" rim in there just depends on tire size. You will need a body mount chop (search) it's a common mod for the fjc.
If you want more then a 35" tire that's where it will get expensive!
Fabtec makes a 6" lift but you really don't gain to much more clearance because it uses drop down brackets witch gives you the same ground cleramcr as a 3" lift running 35". Granted you do get a little more body clearance and it looks cool.
Do your research on the boads and buy the best you can afford and you will be happy
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
A couple options for a non wheeled rig would be spacers or the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. Both are relatively inexpensive and don't change the stock ride by much. I am not familiar with tire sizes in the 18in realm but using a tire calculator like the link below shows you what you can gain in tire height and width. Personally I would go with a mild spacer lift. I went with a simple two inch spacer in the front to level my truck out but there are several others that are available to lift front and rear. (ie: Daystar, Toytec...etc)

Tire size calculator

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help all. I have been searching the forums all morning for ideas and I think the 17" aftermarket wheel will be as big as I need since I am going to be replacing tires every two years or so due to the amount of miles I log (30K a year). Like I said, this is my daily driver. So, assuming that I dont want to get into the body mount chop, if I went with a simple spacer lift or bilstein 5100 shock, what tire size should I be looking at that will not rub? Im not going to get a mud terrain, just an all terrain for best highway use.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Should be able to go 285 70 17s. I have plenty of space, but others have claimed rub. Usually with a more aggressive tire. Also depends if your aftermarket wheel is set in or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be able to go 285 70 17s. I have plenty of space, but others have claimed rub. Usually with a more aggressive tire. Also depends if your aftermarket wheel is set in or not.
Good advice. What sort of backspacing should I be looking for when I am looking at aftemarket wheels to ensure no rubbing with 285/ 70/17s?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
x2 on the 285s. You stand a really good chance of getting away without any rub if you go with AT tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts