Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m new here and I just bought an fj that has a pro comp lift kit on it. Can anyone tell me what size? It looks so tall to me. I liked everything about this rig, But it is a bit tall. Tires ar 35” for scale. The front spacers looked to be about 4 inches. Another question. Can anyone tell me what brand of bumper?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tread Automotive lighting

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car

Automotive tire Tread Bumper Bicycle part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to many companies make 6 inch lifts for the FJ so odds are it is just a procomp spacer lift sitting on the stock shocks and springs. If you plan to do any off-roading I would change to a proper lift with new springs and shocks because a spacer could cause damage to your front steering and other components like your CV boots I will link an article in here that explains why you should not have a spacer lift if you plan to do any serious off-roading.

Both articles talk about the negatives of spacer lifts in off-roading(more so the second one)

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Not to many companies make 6 inch lifts for the FJ so odds are it is just a procomp spacer lift sitting on the stock shocks and springs. If you plan to do any off-roading I would change to a proper lift with new springs and shocks because a spacer could cause damage to your front steering and other components like your CV boots I will link an article in here that explains why you should not have a spacer lift if you plan to do any serious off-roading.
No offense but this advice is off. The OP actually has a drop bracket lift which is designed to provide 6" of lift and is a very involved installation which requires cutting and welding on the frame. He cannot "simply go back" to a standard lift. In this case the spacers on top of the factory shocks is ok.

·
Premium Member
13,777 Posts
No offense but this advice is off. The OP actually has a drop bracket lift which is designed to provide 6" of lift and is a very involved installation which requires cutting and welding on the frame. He cannot "simply go back" to a standard lift. In this case the spacers on top of the factory shocks is ok.
Yup.

Rough Country had the 6" bolt on kit, had it been that you could have gone back to stock or 3" setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You are absolutely correct, I had completely forgotten the labor and fabrication involved in that lift that’s on me, my apologies.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
5,485 Posts
The OP 100% has a ProComp 6" lift. The drop brackets are there, and the top spacers are there. This kit reuses the OEM shock and coils so what you see for the front struts is the OEM setup, but just with the top spacer. Like others have stated, this is one of those kits that requires cutting and welding of the frame crossmembers to install, so there is no going back to stock or even back down to a 3" lift. Only Rough Country had a 6" lift that was bolt-on and allowed for it to be uninstalled. (My FJ actually had a Rough Country 6" lift done by the previous owner but now just has a 3"). And 6" lifts allow for 35" tires to be run more easily, to that makes sense too. Sorry if it is a little tall for you as you had stated, but that's just how it is unless you decrease tire size. But by doing so, keep in mind that small tires with a big lift just makes it look a little silly.

The bumper is a Smittybilt M1: Smittybilt M1 Toyota FJ Cruiser Winch Mount Front Bumper with D-ring Mounts and Light Kit (Black) - 612850 - Smittybilt

It is a common one since it is probably the most affordable aftermarket steel bumper on the market and allows for folks to have a winch like you have yourself.

Hopefully that clears some stuff up for you or helps in some way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone is saying that I can’t go back because I have the pro comp vs rough country lift, but if I was committed, I assume I could have the supports re-welded? Not that I’m going to because I probably can’t afford it and I don’t have that strong of opinion about a 6 inch versus 3 inch lift. But just curious.

·
Premium Member
13,777 Posts
Going back from the ProComp kit has been done by a member here. It was also a bigger headache and a bigger cost than initialy thought.
Drawing a blank on the members name.....it will come to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts