Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Hey Guys,
I've been following the thread and was looking at the Rough Country as well but the OME is pretty well priced; I have two questions: Is there a reason why I would want my rear to be lifted less than the front and secondly, what would be the largest tire/wheel size that I could get under it once it's lifted?

Thanks in advance.
A stock vehicle sits with a rake (front is lower than rear)

The reason for this is so that when you have heavy cargo or towing that the vehicle then sits level.

Most folks do not like the way this looks. So, many suspension lifts get rid of this by lifting the front ~3inches and the rear ~2inches. This levels out the vehicle.

Largest tire you can easily fit on stock wheels is a 285 (33")
Largest tire you can fit with some modifications on stock wheels, 315 (35"). By modifications i mean body mount chop, possibly spacers, possibly aftermarket UCA, possibly lower bump stops, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Sooooo if i go OME or ICON and keep the stock BF AllTerrain
am i going to have to do any types of other mods?
nope.

Maybe a sway bar spacer (a rectangular piece of aluminum or steel that goes between the sway bar and the frame). I didn't need one though, and neither to most people.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Thats still close to 1000 bucks with shipping and you are still on a spacer lift in the rear.
Shipping is that expensive?? :thinkerg: I read somewhere that forum discount almost compensates shipping costs, i could be wrong though.
On the side note...I installed couple of different lifts on other people`s FJ`s.. and, just my personal opinion, stock rear coils seem to be the most comfortable ride. Toytec superflex coils a little stiffer then stockers and due to lack of weight in the back, FJ seem to get a little bouncy. While front OEM coils are way too soft for the weight, and that is where aftermarket coils are much better choice. Just my 02c :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am ready for a lift too. Want to put on an ARB bumper and a winch in a year or so. I was going to go in stages to cost average over several months. First, Bilsteins in the front. Second, Toy-tec coil overs in the front. Third rear Bilsteins in the rear. I am fine with stock coils in the rear. That will give me a 2.5 lift in the front and a 1.5 for the rear. Will this work out?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I was going to go in stages to cost average over several months. First, Bilsteins in the front. Second, Toy-tec coil overs in the front. Third rear Bilsteins in the rear. I am fine with stock coils in the rear. That will give me a 2.5 lift in the front and a 1.5 for the rear. Will this work out?
If i was you, i would combine stages... If follow your path of upgrade you will have to disassemble front and rear suspension more then once, unless you are OK with that :) Just save enough $$$ and do it in one shot :bigthumb:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts