Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I drive a 2014 FJ and absolutely love it. I've made a couple modifications myself and totally hooked. Looking to get my first professionally-done upgrade at my mechanic and looking for some advice.

The story is that I commute to work on busy California freeways and I've been looking into lift kits to get a little more height and better visibility on the road. I take my FJ offroad every once in awhile, but not planning to install a winch and go rock scrambling (or not yet at least :wink ), but I do want to purchase Warrior bumpers at some point down the line (I think the front bumper weighs about 70lbs?). Also wouldn't mind having a smoother ride, but safety is really the key part for me.

Would you recommend a 3" spacer lift dishing out the extra cash for a suspension lift? Anything else that'd be helpful to know?Was originally hoping to spend less than $1k if possible, but eh I'd spend more than that for the right rig.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
3" spacers will only lead to damage if you take it off road (they are only for smooth pavement and for dealer's showroom marketing, small spacers can be used for small height corrections)

If you try for a 3" lift you'll typically also need to replace upper control arms in order to get it back into alignment afterwards (as you can see, height possibilities depends on your budget).

If all you want is a lift, with no interest in going off road, and if cost is critical to you, then 2" spacers could work for you (get it aligned afterward to protect the life of your tires).

If you want to do it right, get longer, adjustable height struts (like Bilstein 5100s) so that when you do take it off road everything will clear correctly, and so you can compensate for the deadweight of the aftermarket heavy front bumper later. Then, decide between 2" and 3" depending on your budget for replacing also the UCAs.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you want to do it right, get longer, adjustable height struts (like Bilstein 5100s)
I agree completely. I used Daystar spacers to lift my FJ for several years. Yes, I achieved a taller look, but it didn't work well off-road and I didn't care for the extra-stiff ride on the road either!

If just leveling the front works for you, put in Bilstein 5100 shocks on the second or third notch (1-1.5") and call it a day. You'll get a little firmer ride for better handling and less brake dive. This setup works well for offroading too. If you want more lift than that, go for the top notch in the front (2") and put either a longer spring or a 1" spacer in the back (it doesn't matter as much here). You'll need longer (5100) rear shocks if you lift the back too. You can probably do all of this within your budget.

If you go more than 2-2.5" lift in the front you'll need upper control arms and at that point, your $1,000 budget is a distant memory.

One other thing to consider is your tires. Not everyone likes the look of a lifted FJ over original size tires.

DaystarLift.jpg

Reactions: TravelinJohnnie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I drive a 2014 FJ and absolutely love it. I've made a couple modifications myself and totally hooked. Looking to get my first professionally-done upgrade at my mechanic and looking for some advice.

The story is that I commute to work on busy California freeways and I've been looking into lift kits to get a little more height and better visibility on the road. I take my FJ offroad every once in awhile, but not planning to install a winch and go rock scrambling (or not yet at least :wink ), but I do want to purchase Warrior bumpers at some point down the line (I think the front bumper weighs about 70lbs?). Also wouldn't mind having a smoother ride, but safety is really the key part for me.

Would you recommend a 3" spacer lift dishing out the extra cash for a suspension lift? Anything else that'd be helpful to know?Was originally hoping to spend less than $1k if possible, but eh I'd spend more than that for the right rig.
As a future FJ owner (congrats on your 14'!!) I've been conducting a little "product research", and am looking to upgrade the stock suspension to create a more supportive off road ride, without breaking the bank or my spindles.

I've had really good performance (and availability) from my Old Man Emu setup on my 03' Tacoma, and found this: OME FJ Cruiser 2-2.5" Lift Kit

One side note...in preparation for the install of my ARB front bumper and winch, I went with a stiffer coil up front, which resulted in the unsprung lift height of just over 3". Looked cool...BUT chewed through a set of OEM half axles in the middle of a Death Valley excursion.

So, in hindsight (because you mentioned future potential heavier front end mods), plan for the current suspension/weight limits of the vehicle, and avoid my experiential mistake.

:cheers:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts