Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding the right product for me. I have a 2011 fjc and I want to either make or buy bumpers and other gear for it. To deal with all of this weight I want to upgrade the suspension to something that will take the abuse and still feel great.
Things that are important to me are.

Quality comfortable ride on the road it's my daily driver

The ability to hold the weight of some steel bumpers and whatever else I throw at her

Still be able to tow a trailer if I need to nothing crazy just some bikes, snow machines, craigslist junk

Obviously needs to keep the ability to offroad and do it like a champ I live in the northeast so rock crawling will be at a minimum

Best bang for buck but give me your options don't let price hold you back

I would like to not have to upgrade anything else to withstand the new angles so 3 inches is about what I need. I'll take any advice you can give especially if you've had experience with what I'm asking for.

·
トヨタ Master
9,218 Posts
This will probably start to become a canned answer from members but there are a lot of threads in here relating to suspensions. Do some research in the threads for insight. You also could call places such as ToyTec Lifts in Denver, Colorado, USA 1-866-254-0076 to get their advice on a system that is tailored to your specific needs. Just do some homework before you jump the gun and you'll be happier in the end.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Off-the-shelf solution:

1. ARB front bumper.
  2. ARB rear bumper with receiver hitch.
  3. ToyTec BOSS 3" lift kit.

That'll keep you at 2.5" to 3" even with the mega-heavy ARB bumpers, and leave you with a reasonable amount of headroom to add additional weight. The ARB rear bumper offers great spare tire clearance and ground clearance without giving up tow capability.

If you will tow frequently, get the heavy-duty rear springs. Consider asking ToyTec for 700lb springs for the front coils, too, depending on your front bumper choice.

SPOILER: It's what I did (though not all at once, and it wasn't planned from the beginning).
SPOILER2: It's a "quality" ride on the road but it's not as comfortable as something more tuned for pavement. You'll be hard pressed to feel great on-road and great off-road... maybe look for suspension parts that offer dials for adjusting stiffness and/or height while installed on the vehicle - these tend to be rarer and more expensive.

There is bang and buck there. The ARB bumpers in particular are quite heavy, hence the heavier-duty suspension springs. The ARB front bumper has limited space for a winch compared to other front bumpers, so if that is important to you, consider a different front bumper.

You could easily go with a lighter and cheaper front bumper. If you want to tow, the rear bumper options that give a real tow hitch are limited and expensive and heavy.

There are of course tons of suspension choices, too, if you want to mix-and-match parts. ToyTec's "front and rear kit" offering is not as common as front and rear being sold separately - or even shocks + springs being sold separately.

Definitely read through the three threads I linked to in the above paragraphs.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
If you are not planning on hitting rocks i would definitely go with Aluminum Bumpers and skids if you chose skids . Also being in the NE they salt the roads back there so another reason for Aluminum . Lift get something that is Adjustable . Be honest with yourself on what you want out of your lift . (IE : do i really need remote Resi shocks if i am going .5 mph crawling along ? ) Toytec was very helpful and a few very helpful Forum Members in Guiding me . Demello , Pelfrybuilt ,Metal Tech are a few great sources also

·
Vendor
722 Posts
Are you looking to use a winch? Winch bumper + winch weighs more than a light low profile steel or aluminum bumper.

Which tire size are you running and are you looking to install bigger wheels? If so you need to make sure that your new lift kit will provide enough clearance.

I hope the answers to these questions will help to narrow down the right parts for your FJ!

Check the bumpers on this link: https://www.carid.com/2011-toyota-fj-cruiser-off-road-bumpers/
and lift kits can be found here: https://www.carid.com/2011-toyota-fj-cruiser-suspension-systems/

·
Premium Member
12,746 Posts
IMO - forget the Toytec TTBOSS kit - for what you are planning it wont be enough.

2.0 body, 5/8 shaft, from the bottom shock mount to where it meets the shock body is very thin.

You probably would be best served looking at suspension systems with 2.5 in body with 650-700 lbs springs.

ToyTech Boss Performance kit would be good starting point but do not limit yourself, look at all the manufactures ICON, KING, S.A.W, Fox etc.

Slow down, plan, save your pennies.....buy once cry once.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OP I just did a 3 inch lift after much research on here and in this thread. I do not use mine for a daily driver but off road for hunting and trials.

check this guide to give you some good ideas and starting point, I then used the search on the different brands to get info on reviews (good/bad/ugly) to narrow things down, then I contacted some of the different vendors to get their input and to see who understood the direction I wanted to go.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...sting-comparison-theyre-all-here-updated.html

As suggested contact the different vendors ( i went with the supporting vendor 1st) to get their take and suggestions, based upon you possible use and also which type/size tires you plan to run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts