Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone every used a lift kit such as DAYSTAR Suspension Lift 2 1/2" Front 1 1/2" Rear - Easy Install

it states no special tools required, just a jack and some wrenches ?

any input ?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Don't know about that kit, but I got the Toytec 3" lift & it said the same thing. "Easy install, just hand tools required" Well, I did not have time to try it myself so I dropped it off at my buddy's garage. When I went to pick it up he was *****'n about the instructions, this & that, bla, bla, bla. He said I would have never been able to do it myself in my driveway. I'm not sure how mechanical you are but just be prepared to call for help. Ask around the forum, you might find someone that knows how to do it & lives some where in your area. Good Luck:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I thought daystar only made a leveling kit?

The toytec 3" ultimate can be done in your driveway, because I did it in my driveway with a buddy. Took us 2 days. What the hell is this "instruction" thing I keep hearing about, my lift didn't come with instructions, it was a "look at whats on there and figure it out" type event. Might have gone faster had we had instructions. In hindsight, if I knew then what I know now, I definitely think it could have been done in one day. We had some hangups that 1. ended up stripping the bolt at the bottom of the UCA on the front, had to cut it off. 2. While trying to figure out how to get the springs in the rear, we disconnected the main cross bar that go across at an angle (sorry don't know the name) anyways, my rear end was walking all over the place so once it was all put together we couldn't get that bar back in place, took well over an hour.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I installed my OME lift kit in my Grandpas driveway in 3 hours. I'm seventeen and have no prior automotive mechanical knowledge. If I can do it that easily, anyone can do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did the Daystar 2 1/2" comfort-ride lift by myself just the other day. The back is extremely easy, and the front is not too bad. The back assembly will save your "physical back" if you have someone help you push down on the axle to get the spring with the spacer re-installed (something I did not have).

The front does not require spring compressors. You just have to remember to remove the upper ball joint nut and separate the ball joint from the spindle (something I overlooked for a period of time) and it's smooth sailing from there on.

If you have any questions before you start PM me.

Ryon

·
Registered
560 Posts
I did the Daystar 2 1/2" comfort-ride lift by myself just the other day. The back is extremely easy, and the front is not too bad. The back assembly will save your "physical back" if you have someone help you push down on the axle to get the spring with the spacer re-installed (something I did not have).

The front does not require spring compressors. You just have to remember to remove the upper ball joint nut and separate the ball joint from the spindle (something I overlooked for a period of time) and it's smooth sailing from there on.

If you have any questions before you start PM me.

Ryon
Any before/after pictures? We just ordered this kit yesterday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any before/after pictures? We just ordered this kit yesterday.
Here's how I'm running until tomorrow. What really sets off lifts though are bigger tires, like I'll be posting pics of soon.

Before

After

You will like what you see when you are done with your lift, or at least I did.

Ryon

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks good! :bigthumb:

Yeah, we have some Nitto Dune Grapplers on order. Hopefully we can get it all done next weekend!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Really is a 1 banana job. Just did a buddys 08'4Runner with the DayStar and it is identical to the FJCruiser.

·
Registered
72 Posts
FYI...the Daystar lift I installed (from Wheeler's Offroad) required spring compressors for the front. There are two pieces for each side up front -- one that goes above the coil-over and one that pre-loads the coil-over's spring.

Daystar Lift Kit for Toyota FJ Cruiser -Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc-

Harp, that makes me wonder what the manufacture date was on your lift. The logo used on the link page is definitely not what Daystar uses now. I like the fact that yours pre-loads the coil spring...how do you like it as far as ride goes?

Ryon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Harp, that makes me wonder what the manufacture date was on your lift. The logo used on the link page is definitely not what Daystar uses now. I like the fact that yours pre-loads the coil spring...how do you like it as far as ride goes?

Ryon
I didn't notice much difference in the ride...maybe a little firmer up front -- it doesn't seem to dip as much as it used to when on the brakes.

Not sure on the mfg. date of the lift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts