Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice on whether I should purchase a new suspension or just a lift kit. I’m completely new to the world of vehicle modifications and am very happy to have found a community so full of information and so willing to help noobs like myself.

My FJ will be my daily driver and my trail beast. I plan to have Dieseltoyz do their thing (-150lbs) and add an ARB front bumper with bull guard (+150lbs), a 12k winch (+100lbs), a Warn rear bumber (+70lbs), an ARB Alloy roof rack, rock sliders, and Line-x XTRA the exterior.

What type of lift or suspension will I need to run Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70R17s? I’m planning on either AR Mojaves or Pro Comp 7089 black wheels (17x8). I “think” I want a 3” kit, but I wanted to see if I needed that much of a raise OR if that is even big enough?

I’ve seen folks comment about having a good fit, then they added mods and the additional weight causes issues with rubbing, so I want to plan it out before doing anything. Based upon the weight I’m adding (and feel free to correct me) and these other factors am I looking for a lift or a suspension?

What other things am I overlooking? What questions am I not asking? What other advice can you give a fledging off road enthusiast?

I’m in the military and about to go downrange and I would like to do a few things to my rig before I leave - it will give me that much more to look forward to upon my return :)

I’ve thought about just getting the wheels and tires, but don’t know if I can do that with the stock suspension without rubbing.

I’ll stop for now. More questions to come. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up questions:
- When I get the lift, will I need to make other modifications for this set up to fit correctly (i.e., a body mount chop)?

- I've read through a few of the treads about offset/backspacing and I'm starting to understand, but this is the newbie section so I'll go ahead and ask...with the lift, will I need to do anything else for either of these wheels to fit properly?

- How much do I need to pay attention to the "max load" rating on the wheels? Will a modded out FJ ever come close to those max loads?

- I've read some of the discussions about steel wheels versus alloys, but when it comes down to it, does it really matter? I know there is a weight difference and I know some people argue over which material is stronger, but does it really just come down to preference?

Again, thank you for the response.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slightly different question

I've been reading on here about the differences in a 16" and 17" wheel and I I think at this time I might be better suited for a 16" options which leads me to some other quick questions.

If I go the 16" wheel instead and with the Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/16. Would I need to get a lift to run this setup without rubbing?

(DISCLAIMER: I still plan on getting a lift, but that will wait until I return from my upcoming military "vacation" - I still plan on adding some weight and FJ will welcome a heavier suspension. Again, most of that will wait).

On Nitto's website it says the 285s height is 1/10th of an inch shorter than the 265s that are on my FJ right now. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Lots of information can be found here so others feel free to jump in.

With the amount of weight you want to run on the front end you will need an OME medium or heavy setup. The OME without any trim packers etc will net you around 2" of lift. The 2.5" bodied coil overs are going to be your ticket to a great ride, adjustability to compensate for sag, and articulation offroad. I am biased to the Icon Stage 2 and now the Total Chaos +2" Long travel since I have ran both, cannot comment on the OME setups.

A 3" lift is the norm around here due to the limitations of the IFS system. There are some exceptions but FJ's aren't those crazy big rigs you see running around town, they are moderately sized at best.

I run 295/75/16 which is about a 33.5" tall tire give or take. This is a great size IMO because it gives you some more width to the tire, and fills the wheel wells nicely. Typically when you upgrade tires you go bigger and with a lift the 265's will look small. The downside to this is depending on your trucks tolerances and the suspension you pick some modification could be necessary ( I needed a BMC ).

As for the wheels you will need to post up the specs on them to see if they will actually fit. The stock backspacing is 4.5" and the TRD wheels I'm running are in the 4" range meaning they stick out a bit farther than stock. When you move the wheels out you are more likely to contact the body mount though. The load ratings on the wheels are important but a fully loaded FJ with some armor is around 5000 lbs, which divided by 4 is 1250 per wheel.

Aluminum vs. steel is a big discussion where steel bends vs. aluminum breaks. The downside of steel is the increased weight which puts more strain on parts and reduces MPG's. The downside of aluminum is that they gouge easily.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Slightly different question

I've been reading on here about the differences in a 16" and 17" wheel and I I think at this time I might be better suited for a 16" options which leads me to some other quick questions.

If I go the 16" wheel instead and with the Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/16. Would I need to get a lift to run this setup without rubbing?

(DISCLAIMER: I still plan on getting a lift, but that will wait until I return from my upcoming military "vacation" - I still plan on adding some weight and FJ will welcome a heavier suspension. Again, most of that will wait).

On Nitto's website it says the 285s height is 1/10th of an inch shorter than the 265s that are on my FJ right now. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
You will not be ablel to run that tire without lift...let me be clear. It will fit but turning and tucking will cause contact with your body mount and you inner fender.

I might also be so bold as to try to talk you out of the nitto tires. Dont get me wrong, I have them on my 4runner, but there are far better tires out there that grip better when wet and clean better off road. It is clear you do your homework, so just look at some other option on tires. I have my reasons to be anti Nitto and they are based on small details. I will not however flame them because they make a good tire for certain setups. Look at the cooper STT, or the hankook dynapro, or if you want a harder tire the BFG..or MTR

As far as lift, I think you got a good idea. Check for the OME Heavy on this forum under vendors (Toyota TRD Parts) And ARB makes great products for the FJ front and rear bumpers, even sliders.

NOTE: (www.toyotatrdparts.com) All FJ Forum members get a 10% discoount on all online orders, even ARB. Enter Code FJFORUM in your shopping cart.

Welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy this new passion for everything off-raod.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
here is an FJ Cruiser Lift writeup that may help you make the right choice for you. I would also suggest talking to some of the supporting vendors they are a wealth of information. Metal Tech is one I regularly check-in with when I need unbiased advice on the mods for my rig.

BTW: Lifts and Tires are akin to the wholly wars :) Good luck to you

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today was my day off so I've had some time to do a little more searching on wheels and tires. I still plan on the solid black utilitarian look. I like the OEM black steelies. My local discount tire shops can order 16" but I've seen folks on these boards mention a 17" version, but I haven't been able to find any. Another 16" I like is the Pro Comp 52. I am leaning steel over alloy. I'd rather have the option to bang out an issue than work with a cracked rim :)

I like the look of the Nittos and the reviews seemed good, but you are right. there are other tires I like too. Another set to which I'm partial is the Mickey Thompson MTZ Traditional 285/75/16LT (33x11.50R16LT).

I'm still looking into what would be the best lift for me. I have a feeling it will come down to a matter of preference as I've seen a ton of good information on most of the top manufactures. I haven't looked for the dirt on each yet to see if there are any downfalls.

I'm not opposed to a body mount chop if i need one. But I would definitely have to seek out some helpful, knowledgable folks to assist me.

I just want to make sure that I take all the steps necessary to do this right. So expect many more questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts