Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I'm in process as we speak of installing the Icon Stage 1 lift. I discovered that my ball joint in one of the "UCA's is shot. Wanting to get advice on options. The current set up is stock on a Base model. The top of the ball joint appears to have a dust shield or something (flat in appearance). Wondering if this is worth fighting with removing and pressing in a new ball joint or just buying new UCA's and being done with it? I've seen mixed reviews on if one needs the UCA's with a 2.5" lift. I have a neighbor who's helping me and he's pushing the Icon Billet with the Delta joint hard too. He has them on his truck. I live in St. Louis so salt etc is a concern. If i go with UCAs i'm thinking either the Icon Tubular with Delta or $$$$!!!!!Icon Billet with Delta. This is my first rodeo in this realm and money is definitely tight but not wanting to go cheap and it bites me in the butt when ready to get out and play. Or currently if the stock UCA's cause premature wear on my brand new tires. Please help! Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Stock UCAs only cause premature tire wear if you cant get close to the alignment specs. I am running OEM UCAs with 3" Toytec lift and they can get my alignment close to factory specs but not quite. Only comment from alignment place was to make sure to rotate your tires a bit more and watch for any unusual wear. Also contributes to being a little more wandery, grabby on uneven lanes.

In my mind your options are to go with an OEM ball joint and replace it, or upgrade to new UCAs. I have some SPC/Light racing UCAs I have never installed yet....but if I had to do it over again....I would probably be looking pretty closely at the JBA (Jeeps by Al) control arms with bolt in ball joints. I can tell you I never want to have to deal with press in ball joints again after dealing with replacing & removing on 3rd Gen 4Runner.

https://jbaoffroad.com/toyota/fj-cruisers/jba-upper-control-arms.html

These are popular with the Tacoma and 4Runner guys and I have seen them get a lot more mention over here recently.

ICON UCAs....dont know anything about them. Back when I first got my FJ, ICON was considered the gold standard on suspension and components. Their reputation has been all downhill since then (in my casual uneducated opinion).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts