Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to lift the FJ. I want a 3" in the front and 2" in the back. My wife loves the ride of the stock FJ. It it is a very smooth ride. We would like to retain this comfortable ride if possible.

I would like some feedback for those here who have used spacers and how it affected the ride. I am not a big fan of spacers but I am curious how they handle on this vehicle.

On a side note I lifted my Grand Cherokee with spacers and cheap shocks and I hate the way it rides. Very stiff (could be the cheap shocks) and noisy.

I look forward to the input.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
As a condition of sale, dealer installed a pro comp 3" lift, the only lift they installed that didn't void warranty. It's a stiff ride in comparison stock and, though I don't have any experience in other rides yet, I think I'll probably be looking for a different set up down the road with more capable, but plusher ride. Waiting until I actually see, ride in, and get feed back from other owners first. My two cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a condition of sale, dealer installed a pro comp 3" lift, the only lift they installed that didn't void warranty. It's a stiff ride in comparison stock and, though I don't have any experience in other rides yet, I think I'll probably be looking for a different set up down the road with more capable, but plusher ride. Waiting until I actually see, ride in, and get feed back from other owners first. My two cents for what it's worth.
If the pro comp lift comes with pro comp shocks that could explain the stiff ride. The shocks I installed on my Jeep are pro comp copies and they are very stiff twin tube shocks. This is why I am looking at the possibility of spacers on the FJ for now. They would retain the stock struts and hopefully help keep the plush ride.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Then I'll be interested to see replies, as I may be trading the pro comp for spacers. Ha. I knew all lifts weren't the same, but was more concerned about remaining warranty at the time. I regret the choice now, but not a tremendous investment.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Interesting. I was told that RevTek was the only non warranty voiding lift...now I need to double check that before I do this.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Utah_Jay, just come out to a trail run with us. You can drive my setup (OME Heavies) and Bob's (Hybrid), and Brad's (Icon's) and there are some ToyTec's and a few others you can check out first hand.

Brad had a spacer lift for not very long. He hated it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
as right now i have 3" spacers from toy tech, they made my ride a little stiffer :(, well i had enough of this and my new set up is coming to day! It's Fox Coilover Kit w/ Upper Control Arms & Rear Shocks. I will get it installed probably on Monday or Tuesday. if you want i can post on the difference, but the guy at the shop told me with my new set up i would be able to drive 50 miles per hour and hit a speed bump and dont even feel it. He also told me that i can do a little jumps, but when i add lower control arms, i could do big jumps....i cant see why i need that :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Utah_Jay, just come out to a trail run with us. You can drive my setup (OME Heavies) and Bob's (Hybrid), and Brad's (Icon's) and there are some ToyTec's and a few others you can check out first hand.

Brad had a spacer lift for not very long. He hated it.
I am always up for a trail run. Isn't the Hybrid lift a spacer system? What does Bob think of this?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
as right now i have 3" spacers from toy tech, they made my ride a little stiffer :(, well i had enough of this and my new set up is coming to day! It's Fox Coilover Kit w/ Upper Control Arms & Rear Shocks. I will get it installed probably on Monday or Tuesday. if you want i can post on the difference, but the guy at the shop told me with my new set up i would be able to drive 50 miles per hour and hit a speed bump and dont even feel it. He also told me that i can do a little jumps, but when i add lower control arms, i could do big jumps....i cant see why i need that :D
Please post your final review after install. I'd be curious to know the results of speed bump test.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too am interested in learing about the differences in the avaialble suspensions.

FWIW...So far I've installed the Daystar spacers which, if I'm not mistaken, brought the front up 2.5" and the rear up 1.5", resulting in slightly better clearance & a leveled stance. Since I retained all of the original supsension components the ride is very similar to the stock ride with the exception of a little more "lean" in corners. I can fit 285/75/16 tires under with no issues. Very cheap solution that has been worth every penny. Of course I'd love a more complete system, but this has provent to be a great interim solution.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I too am interested in learing about the differences in the avaialble suspensions.

FWIW...So far I've installed the Daystar spacers which, if I'm not mistaken, brought the front up 2.5" and the rear up 1.5", resulting in slightly better clearance & a leveled stance. Since I retained all of the original supsension components the ride is very similar to the stock ride with the exception of a little more "lean" in corners. I can fit 285/75/16 tires under with no issues. Very cheap solution that has been worth every penny. Of course I'd love a more complete system, but this has provent to be a great interim solution.
You guys should use the search function to look at different setups. There are a variety of different lifts and different opinions.

I have OME 884 in front with no top plate and OME 895e in back with bilstein 5100s all around. I like it.

I would say you can answer your question with this thread.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-lift-listing-comparison-theyre-all-here.html

Good Luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If your wife likes the way the vehicle drives and handles...then don't change it.

My wife claims that I completely F'd up our FJ by doing a lift (3 inch OME), she complains that it is not as stable on the highway and refuses to drive it anywhere but in town.

I think it is just an excuse for her to drive the STi more often :lol:

Basically, if the wife is not happy....no one is :boohoo:

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I got 6" Pro-Comp lift before delivery and kept the warranty! went Stage one and it rides like a dream...
Go spacers and keep the factory shocks and springs.... Get your lift and factory ride.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I talked to someone at 4 wheel parts about lifting our FJ. He recommended the ProComp kit. His comment on coil over style kits is that "they are very noisy" due to a metal to metal assembly.
Can anybody comment on the noise issue- real or sales pitch?

I read a lot of recomendations on this site for OME 3" kits, which I believe are coil overs.

I have had both good and bad results from ProComp products so I am not sold on his recommendation.
I would rather make my decision from the users on this site.

Now I am reaseraching the Daystar KT09124BK kit. Our goal is to imporve the vehicle stance and be able to put on 32" tires. We dont do aggressive trails but we do use 4 wheel drive on moderate trails.

I want to spend money wisely because there are so many great mods that can be done to the FJ and ourbudget is limited. So the lift we go with needs to be the right decision.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have the 3" ProComp lift. So far it has been great. The ride is definitely stiffer, but not offensive.

You should be able to fit 32" with no mods at all. In fact, FJs come with 32" tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You guys should use the search function to look at different setups. There are a variety of different lifts and different opinions.

...:cheers:
Thanks for the link. I've beaten search to death...and technology seems to have changed a bit since some of the older threads went quiet.

What I find to be quite interesting is how some folks combine components from various companies to create a complete system.

What would you all say to putting OME heavy springs on the rear combined with a coil over setup up front? Is there any drawback to that? I carry a lot of gear on the family camp trips, but want the "flex" when we are unloaded on the Moab trails. I'm surpised most of the lift kits max out at 3"....why is that? 6" is a bit much for me and it seems that a 4" kit would allow someone to run 35's and have ample flex and clearance. Is it frowned upon to use 1" spacers in conjunction with some of the 3" options?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to someone at 4 wheel parts about lifting our FJ. He recommended the ProComp kit. His comment on coil over style kits is that "they are very noisy" due to a metal to metal assembly.
Can anybody comment on the noise issue- real or sales pitch?

I read a lot of recomendations on this site for OME 3" kits, which I believe are coil overs.

I have had both good and bad results from ProComp products so I am not sold on his recommendation.
I would rather make my decision from the users on this site.

Now I am reaseraching the Daystar KT09124BK kit. Our goal is to imporve the vehicle stance and be able to put on 32" tires. We dont do aggressive trails but we do use 4 wheel drive on moderate trails.

I want to spend money wisely because there are so many great mods that can be done to the FJ and ourbudget is limited. So the lift we go with needs to be the right decision.
I can't speak for the fj (hence why I am here with this thread) but on my Jeep the "metal to metal" is very noisy. I use a spacer lift and I don't care for it. I am hoping the spacer lift on the fj is more quiet. As far as 32's go my fj has them as stock, well at least they are the equivalent of a 32.

·
Registered
327 Posts
According to sema no warranty can be voided for after market product installation. Though the dealer claims this is at his or her descretion...this is not true if you appeal to Toyota (or other manufactures) they will how shoudl I say....convince the dealership to rethink its decision making. These vehicle manufactures know our aftermarket products helps them sell trucks. Just food for thought. Lift it and wheel the piss out of it! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts