Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to finally lift my stock 2008 FJ 3 inches.

Right now I have the stock 16 inch wheels. Love these TRDS attached below which are only made in 16s. With a lift and bigger tires, could I stick with 16 or should I upgrade to 17?

What are the absolute biggest tires I can put on a 3 inch lift without body chop? What are the biggest tires with body chop? Love the big tire look and feel but have concerns about irreparably changing my FJ. Also, how will big tires and body chop affect daily driving? Looking for a balance between offroad performance and effective daily driving.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
I have 17" wheels. I do know that there are a lot of posts on the subject.

Google link to Bigger Tires - from our Forum and others

I did the Upper Control Arms and BMC at the beginning. I've limited my tires to tires 33", in my case Cooper STT Pros - 285/17R17. Regearing is an expensive proposition when you go above 33" (some say 34")

I also limited my lift to 3". There are discussions about that too.

I wouldn't mind 16s but one of my mods for the future would be the bigger brakes from a T4R and you need 17's.

Read those posts in the Google link, you can also try using the Forum search. There are very knowledgeable folk here when it comes to suspension. The linked posts will give you some good background.

Good Luck,

AND - Welcome from Oregon :) You should go to the Introductions and New Arrivals and post there. Show us a picture of your FJ.

Reactions: FJQueue

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've owned an '08 for just over 13 months, did a bunch of 4 wheeling before the lift and tires, put OME springs and shocks/struts (3" lift front, 2" back) and SPC upper control arms on it with 285/70- 17 BFG All Terrain TA's, have done 3? 4? days out in the dirt after the lift/tires and couldn't be happier with my choices. It rides as nice (or even maybe a little nicer) on the street (no front end dive when braking) and has surpassed my expectations off road. I do consider myself 'somewhat' experienced- this is my 3rd 4wd in 35 years (all started with an '86 Toyota short box deluxe in Nov. '85, moved up to a '94 4Runner in '98 to be able to cart around baby seats) and this is the most fun one yet! I do love the electronic rear locker...

Your stock 265/75- 16's are the same height as 265/70-17's and a 285/75-16 is the same as a 285/70-17 so the fit should be the same. Oh- almost forgot- no body mount chop and one side barely touches at full turn, only when backing up. Al

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 34s on a 3 inch lift 17in wheels body mount chop and 1.25in spacers. There isnt any rubbing except at full lock while articulating off road. It only on the drivers side so not sure whats up with that. Its a nice size without putting in a lot of money I will be going bigger eventually but that was the first thing I did when I bought the fj.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts