Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lift my FJ a max of 3" and dont do any crazy offroading as this is my daily driver. I want to lift it to get bigger tires on. I am thinking about just a leveling kit or at max a 3" lift (parking garage restriction). Which option gives me the closest to the original factory ride quality on highway and in the city?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I would go with a OME medium lift. The ride is better than stock and you can install
285/70/17. IMHO

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the Old Man Emu lift, I love it. So much better than stock. I have been running this for over two years. I don't have the nose dive when braking like the factory and it is a lot smoother over the bumps. No problems on the highway.

With this lift you can install a 285/70-17 tire without have to mod anything (body mount chop, spacers...) as long as you use rims with the stock backspacing.

The OME lift will smooth out the ride, but your tires will dictate how it handles and noise on the highway.

Overall HUGE improvement over factory ride on and off road.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I would like to lift my FJ a max of 3" and dont do any crazy offroading as this is my daily driver. I want to lift it to get bigger tires on. I am thinking about just a leveling kit or at max a 3" lift (parking garage restriction). Which option gives me the closest to the original factory ride quality on highway and in the city?
I have a spacer lift right now. it retains the factory ride completely as well as all the components. it is just a spacer on the top of the coils. i plan on upgrading later to an off-road savey lift...but i am insanely pleased with the smoothness of my ride right now. Not too stiff/ not too bouncy. I do have the TTSE FJ, so I have factory bilstein shocks on it.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
x2 on the toytec ultimate.

However, if I can give you one really valuable piece of advice: Get really nice tires. The tires is a big part of how your suspension feel. I found that out the hard way. Not that I have any regrets... because it won't do me any good anyway. But, before I got my MT tires... my lift was so smooth... as soon as the tires went on... every bump is felt.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
RC3......period

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just installed my Toytec coilovers this weekend and the ride is actually better. Almost as soft but much better stability in turns and breaking. Feels much more controlled.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I totally agree... the harder I push my toytec's the better they feel.
Icons feel better than stock and even better when you push them hard compared to stock.
:thinkerg:

What do you mean by push the coilovers? :D

I have Icons, the ride is much better than before and more stable. BTW, has anyone a video of how to adjust the coilovers from 2" to 2.5", I'm getting my BFG AT 285 soon :)

PS: I have the spanner wrench.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
:thinkerg:

What do you mean by push the coilovers? :D

I have Icons, the ride is much better than before and more stable. BTW, has anyone a video of how to adjust the coilovers from 2" to 2.5", I'm getting my BFG AT 285 soon :)

PS: I have the spanner wrench.

Just loosen the little set screw with a hex key and then use the spanner wrench to tighten the top collar down. Clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen. Don't forget to retighten the set screw when you're done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts