Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
From lafayette la
Just came from wrangler forum cuz I traded in my 04 wrangler lifted and locked for my fj
I put a 6" rc lift and 325/60r18 tires and moto metal wheels

I need to research the forum about some issues I'm having and hopefully can get these resolved! Love these forums and loOking forward to supporting it!

My problems : 1:wobble in steering wheel 40+mph

2: Stifff ride from lift (rough country); not nearly as rough as the jeep but I want to smooth it out. I heard about icon piggybacks in the rear but 400$+ per shock seems pretty steep, very open to suggestions

I'll upload my fj whenever I get to my laptop, using the phone now

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you came from a TJ I am assuming that you had read some of the reviews about RC and shocks. They are typically a stiffer ride than others. I have an rc lift on my TJ and is quite a bit stiffer than others I would look into new shocks and see if that helps. As far as wobble are you speaking of slight or death wobble? If it is just slight it could be balancing of tires or possibly alignment.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the wobble is from the tires, i have 265's but i upgraded to muds and they wobble like crazy over 45, i need an alignment

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah I don't believe it's death wobble, it's only a slight wobble when going over a certain speed..

Yes I know about RC and the front is basically a spacer kit and the rear is a little more, correct?
I was looking into icon piggybacks but for 400+ $$$ a shock (800+ for the pair) that seems Steep for two shocks.... Any other solutions?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nah I don't believe it's death wobble, it's only a slight wobble when going over a certain speed..

Yes I know about RC and the front is basically a spacer kit and the rear is a little more, correct?
I was looking into icon piggybacks but for 400+ $$$ a shock (800+ for the pair) that seems Steep for two shocks.... Any other solutions?
There are lots of options when it comes to suspension. You may also want to investigate the difference/preference of 3" vs. 6" lifts. In terms of wobble/vibration, it's mostly due to the tires. I would get them balanced again and see if that helps. Is your alignment spot on? Do you have aftermarket UCA? They help to bring alignment back to more stock settings.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! With 6" and 325s I'd really think about changing out the UCA first. In the mean time I'd check tire balance. Not sure on the piggy back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No , they are stock uca i believe
what's a good set to get (UCA) thats not ridiculously price
I'm on road 75% of the time (25% offroad trail riding)
I am goong to get coilovers for front soon tho (probably the radflo coilovers and rear shocks)
My first mod was Updating the sound system; Should've done the necessary suspension instead...damn lift kits always require more than equipped with haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, and I look forward to meeting you at the next LA get together. I will send you a PM about the tailpipe tomorrow.
Great! How do we find out about local events? I know when o had my jeep we had Louisiana jeepers and Cajun jeepers (locally in lafayette) but I don't really know of anything else

Yeah I like the deep sound I have from factory but I know the exhaust opens it up and my tailpipe is rusty and nasty looking

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
LOL I would love to throw the title of this thread over on the Jeep site but forums fighting back and forth are always lots of work for the MODS:cheers:

Welcome to the site::rocker:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the gang.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super excited, I love my fj almost more than the tj !
But everytime I drive it , more and more I discover how much sturdier it felt than my old jeep (2004)

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ill say this...ive got more then 7" of lift, running all icon beneath it, 37" pro mt's, and NO death wobble!! alot of it is how its set up, and knowing you get what you pay for..ive got the icon uca, and no alignment issue, no shaking, no nada!!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Comparing DW or anything else is like comparing service tec's at jiffy lube and the custom shops. I can make a TJ or FJ DW easily with one nut and wrench. Their both great 4x4's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O yeah my Tj got into some pretty tight spots, and out in the intracoastal canal and into and out of 4 ft crawfish ponds... Those MT mtZ are pretty dang good in swamp goo hahah
But I love the way the fj feels on the road, not as stiff and bouncy as the wrangler (7.25" of lift, 36", 4.56 .. it was a beast)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Aloha from Cali, if there's anywhere you can find answers to your questions, it's here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I went with the Camburg "ball jount style" UCA's, Radflo coilovers and rear shocks for my RC6" and wow what a world of difference in ride. Radflo makes a great product and they are quite a bit cheaper then the Icon. I paid $180 each for the rear shock and $697 for the coilovers.

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts