Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest lift for the fj cruiser. I would like to fit 38's under my fj so any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be highly appreciated! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Well I wouldnt think you would want to go any higher than a 6 inch lift. You would have to do modifications but it would work ...............I think.......Guys??

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
if your going for 38's you will have to go SAS on the front. you can go 6 inch suspension + 2 to 3 inch, by combining multiple lift kits together, to be able to get around 8 to 9 inches,& 1.25 body lift, and can fit 37's,
but if your wanting 38's... your only option will be loose the IFS and go Solid axle and that will set you back a cool 9k+

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What are some of your goals for your FJ? This will help us give you a better answer about fitting 38" tall tires. In short, it will cost a lot of money and a lot of major modification.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What is the largest lift for the fj cruiser. I would like to fit 38's under my fj so any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be highly appreciated! :rocker:
It's impossible.:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ill say this...im running 37's now, ran 35's for almost 4 years, in which i had NO problems..now, i still have NO problems, but ive only got less then 400 miles logged...ive got a totally custom lift though also..started witha fabtech 6"-which is as big as your gonna find on the market-then combined some fab work, icon coilovers and springs, and uca's, got about 8"..then added an inch and a quarter body lift...the 37's fit like they were ment to be...i do have a body chop in the front, and did some slight trimming on the very rear of the rear wheel well....i cant for see any issues, other then the lack of up travel, esp in the rear...
the real question is deff one to be conciderd, and its been asked...what are your intentions of the fj? with the 38's, deff be ready to regear, among other things....im confident it CAN be done, without going to a sas, but not sure even id really want to attempt it....just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
AS Mentioned with alittle thought, alot of cash,custom work and some triming.. you can go with 37's. Down side is you will still be limited to your over all flex and travel... It will look awesome cruising the mall on 38's... But might cause some issues if your out on a heavy rocky trail..
I would consider 37's at best, if your wanting 38's and intend to go places requiring 38's then I would save and go to solid front axle and custom suspension front and rear...
Its all going to come down to your wallet and your intentions for the truck....with $ anything is possible!

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
ill say this...im running 37's now, ran 35's for almost 4 years, in which i had NO problems..now, i still have NO problems, but ive only got less then 400 miles logged...ive got a totally custom lift though also..started witha fabtech 6"-which is as big as your gonna find on the market-then combined some fab work, icon coilovers and springs, and uca's, got about 8"..then added an inch and a quarter body lift...the 37's fit like they were ment to be...i do have a body chop in the front, and did some slight trimming on the very rear of the rear wheel well....i cant for see any issues, other then the lack of up travel, esp in the rear...
the real question is deff one to be conciderd, and its been asked...what are your intentions of the fj? with the 38's, deff be ready to regear, among other things....im confident it CAN be done, without going to a sas, but not sure even id really want to attempt it....just my 2 cents
I think there are lots of things that "CAN BE DONE" . If you just want to show it, then I believe it works ok. Practically, it makes no sense for wheeling. You will rub Period.. Unless you want to pound and bang every fenderwell. You will raise your Center of gravity. You will break stuff, front and rear.
I think all of these things need to be heavily considered before you decide to make this big of a leap.
When I made my decision to go to 35's I weighed out my options and realized I also am putting more strain on my drive line. I have done several things, downstrean, to help keep me from breaking. Regear, added front UCA's to be able to gusset the front spindles, heavy duty steering links. Stronger rear links, suspension and keep a constant eye on all the wear parts. CV axles etc.
The other part of the plan is having a good trail repair plan. I now carry a Front CV axle with all the tools to replace it. I know how to make a trail repair on a rear diff, Just to get you off the trail. I am really careful about how I drive, since I have loaded the drive train more, with the bigger tires.
If you just throw money at this and still want to run trails, you will be the guy that everyone helps get you off the trail, because of breakage. You need to take responsibility for overbuilding your rig, or you will need a mechanic and trailer, to haul your broken junk off the trail

1 - 14 of 14 Posts