Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to lift my fj and I am wondering what to get there’s so many option as far as brands. I won’t be off roading much, should I just get a leveling kit or spend the money and buy an all around lift kit? If I can I’d prefer to not take a lot away from comfort and stability as it is my daily driver.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Best inexpensive bang-for-your-buck is the Bilstein 5100. Set the front on about the 3rd or 4th notch and you've got a great looking level with a little lift that works better than stock on road and for light offroad (some do far more than light with these shocks). There are a lot of threads about lifts. Do some searches and see what others are saying.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Even though this is a 2018 thread it's worth adding to. All of this lift information is great but missing some minor detail.

2010 and newer FJs came with left and right front springs. The stock spring part numbers are Left 48131-35670 and Right 48131-35660. The left spring is about 0.5" taller than the right spring. Eventually the side with more weight on it, usually the drivers side, develops a lean. Toytec sells spacers to compensate. Just adding spacers to weak springs is a bad idea. The starting point should be new springs and shocks.

When your adding a lift you may or may not need a spacer. This depends on the lift. If your installing Bilstein 5100s with stock springs you might not need a spacer. If you are changing springs you will probably need a spacer unless the springs have lots of preload or one is longer.

This drivers side lean issue has been talked to death but it's relevant, especially when lifting your truck. Try to find a solution that uses the fewest add ons for the sake of reliability. I have the Bilstein 5100s with Eibach front springs and Sway-a-way rear springs. I have one 0.5" spacer on the drivers side. I had a bunch of crap on the drivers side to level the truck and got rid of it. My problems were about bad springs.

Don't forget to change your bump stops and any components with worn out bushings or joints! And get a real 4x4 shop to set your front caster. Once you lift the truck all the weak links will become known to you. Better to fix it now than 300 miles from home.

·
Registered
230 Posts
History: When I first lifted my FJ. So here is what I ended up doing to get my lift straight but not perfect. I had planned to do a 3" lift with Bilstein 5100s and springs. Once I lifted the truck it leaned and it was too high in the back The Sway-A-Way rear springs create more like 2.5" of lift not 1.5". So the back end was really high with the front Bilsteins set on the second notch and Eibach 1.6" front lift springs. Against better judgement I set the front Bilsteins on the third notch up. The truck now sits perfectly level but it's lifted to 3.5". Higher than I wanted and no way go back unless I re-do. Am I happy with the lift now = YES. Was it a PIA = YES. Does it ride well and handle well = YES. Is it going to be reliable = ???

I like Toytec, but sometimes they don't provide the information you need. Find a good 4X4 shop that does FJ's and Jeeps.

(My discussion with Toytec),

I never got a call back from you so I had to take my best guess. The FJ Cruiser Forum helped me out. I will post my findings with them.

We reseated the rear Sway-A-Way springs and nothing changed. Those springs are really too tall. Short of replacing the rear springs there was only one option, raise the front springs. We set the Bilstein 5100s to the third notch under reasonable load for the Eibach springs. The truck now has 3.5" lift with 5100's and it sits level.

I'm not too thrilled about the extra lift because I'm sure I will pay for it later on down the road.

BR,
Stephen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts