Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Your need to be more openminded and less opinionated.
FYI vibration would loosen the bolt.. It needed a more secure way to be mounted.. I gave an easy solution without haveing to search for special bushings.. Ultimately someone recommended a better solution to the fix.. I gave him props for a better idea...
If I were to suggest that when you build your cargo box to rabbit joint all your pieces to get a more secure glue joint and maybe use a construction adhesive and clamp dry all pieces you would give me 5 reasons my idea sucks....

I figure rather then deal with bs I'd rather just get your approval first.. Just because I'm not articulate doesn't mean I'm some idiot that doesn't know much about fabrication or anything else...

Think about the advice you give and the argument to support it.. 3/8" hole 1/4" bolt.. Did you say 1/4" because I said 5/16"?? I think it may be metric and the larger hole might be 1/2" but who cares the issue is to get a fix that's going to last..:cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
For reference I think this would have been more worthwhile to discuss via PM.

FYI vibration would loosen the bolt.. It needed a more secure way to be mounted.. I gave an easy solution without haveing to search for special bushings.. Ultimately someone recommended a better solution to the fix.. I gave him props for a better idea...
I respectfully disagree with you on this, and I apologize if it offends you. I have used nylock nuts for mounting turbo's to manifolds. Such systems experience high vibrations, extremely high compared to a light bar, and I didn't have any issue with the turbo falling off in the middle of the road. Based on that and other experiences with the equipment utilizing nylock nuts (which reduce the impact of vibrations compared to a typical nut) I think he would be fine and he could always use loc-tite as an added safety measure.

If you can explain to me why the nuts would vibrate loose (what is the root cause of this serious vibration), rather than saying "they will vibrate loose", with math or logical reasoning I'd be happy to continue the conversation via PM. At this point I will agree to disagree :cheers:

I agree that the end solution was the best one proposed. :bigthumb:

Your need to be more openminded and less opinionated.
This forum is about sharing knowledge based on past experiences on the FJ, other vehicles, and other technology. I apologize again if my feedback has offended you. I've only tried to provide Icebone with feedback on the items he had asked. :cheers:

If I were to suggest that when you build your cargo box to rabbit joint all your pieces to get a more secure glue joint and maybe use a construction adhesive and clamp dry all pieces you would give me 5 reasons my idea sucks....
Actually those are good ideas. Unfortunately for me I'm not skilled woodworker by any means. My goal with the first box I build is to sucessfully build a functional box without any major issues. If I can do that I might venture into building another box with more complicated, but more secure joints, like you suggested. :bigthumb:

I figure rather then deal with bs I'd rather just get your approval first.. Just because I'm not articulate doesn't mean I'm some idiot that doesn't know much about fabrication or anything else...
I never said you were an idiot or insuated that you were. Nor did I ever say any of your ideas were stupid or that you needed my approval to post them.

You fabricated a nice lighbar mount, so you must know quite a bit :bigthumb:

Think about the advice you give and the argument to support it.. 3/8" hole 1/4" bolt.. Did you say 1/4" because I said 5/16"?? I think it may be metric and the larger hole might be 1/2" but who cares the issue is to get a fix that's going to last..:cheers:
Sorry to dissapoint you. I said 1/4" because I own a visionx light bar and think that is what it is off the top of my head. My logic supports the solution I proposed which wasn't as permanent as using JB welded washers and I recommended trying mine as a first step before going to JB weld.

Ultimately someone came up with a better solution which provided sufficient friction & clamping force to prevent any movement in the light :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Simmer down tigers!

The FJ is at the Porsche shop. Nice clean shop. I do wonder what they're going to charge me however -- this is Westchester after all. Somehow managed to get it arranged, explained and dropped off without remembering to get an estimate. Oh well.

They're going to try to go down the outside of the A-pillar, so, no driling. We'll see what it looks like. I'll be happy if they get the bar on and it works.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Simmer down tigers!

The FJ is at the Porsche shop. Nice clean shop. I do wonder what they're going to charge me however -- this is Westchester after all. Somehow managed to get it arranged, explained and dropped off without remembering to get an estimate. Oh well.

They're going to try to go down the outside of the A-pillar, so, no driling. We'll see what it looks like. I'll be happy if they get the bar on and it works.
Post up picks, your Q&A with the shop, the price they give you(if you dont mind) and anything else. Im curious like a cat, thats why my friends call me whiskers...(will ferrell doing Harey Carey)

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Post up picks, your Q&A with the shop, the price they give you(if you dont mind) and anything else. Im curious like a cat, thats why my friends call me whiskers...(will ferrell doing Harey Carey)
Will do, when it's done. I don't have any pics as they drove me home before starting work on the truck... it's full service out here!

I'll def take pics of the install, hopefully they do a nice job with it. And I'll report on what they charge, which will no doubt subject me to intense sniping on here from the "could have done it myself" crowd...

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Is it done yet?:clap:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Uploading pics now...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts