Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all...

Thanks to the guidance from forum members, I got my first mod done, a rear facing roof rack LED light for aid in backing up and pulling out stuck friends at night.

Second mod has me seeking more feedback on installing the following LED bar on the front of the FJ

12 volt led off road light bar

Elsewhere on the forum, I read that a member installed a similar light by taking the black wire and grounding same and routing the power lead to the under the hood fuse box. He tapped into the DRL fuse socket with the wire and replaced the fuse. Thus, when he turns the DRL's on, the auxiliary light illuminates.

I want to find the high beam fuse/tap and only have the BlitzPro come on when I move the controls to high beams. Is this a safe method of illuminating this light? I'm a newb in training, so no doubt others know way more than me. I just dont want to plug a wire into the fuse box not knowing the risks. The benefits seem to include not having to run a relay and switch.

Thanks!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
842 Posts
That look really sweet! I bet it puts out great light!
I went a cheap route, I bought a $20 set of bullet style MR-16 driving lights from Walmart.
Then bought 2 LED MR-16 lamps from Amazon.
I wired them straight to the backup wire at the tail light, and mounted them inside the back window on each side of the spare.
Less than $30, turned out OK, does the trick, and nobody can steal them without breaking a window.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Atilla, sweet indoors set up.

Still wondering tho if anyone can help with the fusebox install method?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Do you have a link to what the other member did? I'm not quite following. You can't tap in to the high beams since the circuit doesn't have enough power to handle the headlight high beam and the LED. The easiest thing to do is just buy the stock switch and harness, plug a relay and fuse into the stock box, but that's not cheap... I'm not sure where the DRL circuit comes in to play, but I'll read up if you've got the link.

Factory Fog Light Switch Kit SK1 SWITCHKIT

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks like you could use a high beam wire to trigger a relay that powers your LED set up. Your splice could made at (near) the plug. The relay does not require a lot of power. I'm sure someone here could provide a pic of the fuse block and offer possible methods of tapping in without having to splice in as I suggested. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Looks like you could use a high beam wire to trigger a relay that powers your LED set up. Your splice could made at (near) the plug. The relay does not require a lot of power. I'm sure someone here could provide a pic of the fuse block and offer possible methods of tapping in without having to splice in as I suggested. Good luck!
^^This would work!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. sadly, i didn't save the thread about tapping into the box. i'll keep researching or go the standard relay/switch route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts