Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an install here somewhere that had the wiring ran from the light bar down along the windshield seal. No drilling was done. I can't find it again! Anyone done that??

If not...any super good ideas? I have seen the factory feedthrough but haven't tried to order it separately juet yet. I did like the other idea of running it through the roof under the foot of the factory roof rack as well.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I saw an install here somewhere that had the wiring ran from the light bar down along the windshield seal. No drilling was done. I can't find it again! Anyone done that??

If not...any super good ideas? I have seen the factory feedthrough but haven't tried to order it separately juet yet. I did like the other idea of running it through the roof under the foot of the factory roof rack as well.
Search piaa 540 install..the install you are looking for is Ruebarb's....he installed them the way you aw lookin for...i could post links but I'm on n my phone and is a pita right now

·
Registered
954 Posts
I am actually in the process of doing this. I completed the running of wires along the front pillar but I still have to connect the lights on the roof. I followed the "how to" from the no drill install you are refering to. So far I am very happy with the results. It is not quite as clean of an install as actually cutting a hole in your roof, but it looks good IMO. It is a little snug trying to get 4 wires run underneath the pillar cover, but you could always ground them on the roof I guess and only run 2 hot wires instead. I bought a wiring harness from Baja Rack and it was already set up with 4 wires so I just went with it and crammed them underneath. Good luck, and I will try to post some pictures if I can ever get the FJ back from my wife.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I used the one Toyota uses with their airdam kit. Very nice connectors. Keep in mind you will have to buy some FEL-PRO paper gasket material...puch out a washer and use 3M body sealant for the install. Very easy. Get the pdf on the OEM airdam install and it has step by step instructions on how to install the thru-the-roof connector.

Custom Connectors - Connectors for Special Applications - ODU USA

Toyota wanted over $100 for one connector, ODU was selling them to us for around $50

There is a thread on these connectors, ODU actually put some of these on EBay for us for ease of purchasing. I think the thread was listed as OEM connectors found. DO a search, a lot of info in there if youre interested.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool! I'll go look at these tonight. I bought the waterproof bulkhead feedthrough today. It will be a clean installation but no connector. If I go that route, I will be using waterproof aviation style "environmental splices". I'd really like that connector now that I've seen it! :bigthumb:

Thanks man!

I used the one Toyota uses with their airdam kit. Very nice connectors. Keep in mind you will have to buy some FEL-PRO paper gasket material...puch out a washer and use 3M body sealant for the install. Very easy. Get the pdf on the OEM airdam install and it has step by step instructions on how to install the thru-the-roof connector.

Custom Connectors - Connectors for Special Applications - ODU USA

Toyota wanted over $100 for one connector, ODU was selling them to us for around $50

There is a thread on these connectors, ODU actually put some of these on EBay for us for ease of purchasing. I think the thread was listed as OEM connectors found. DO a search, a lot of info in there if youre interested.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Sure, no problem..just hollar if you need any more info, I've installed 2 on rig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts