Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is what im thinking about doing, right now i am training to be a volunteer police officer and anything else i can do to help in a disaster so i want to put an led light bar most likely will be amber and red or just amber, but i still want to put some off road lights on. or would the light bar with take down lights work better then off road lights.

Just wondering on some thoughts or suggestion's

·
Registered
493 Posts
The first thing you are going to want to do is check your state and local laws to see what is,
or isn't legal when it comes to emergency lights on private vehicles.

I'm pretty sure you will be stuck with amber only. Red or blue will more than likely be a no-no.

Why would you need take down lights??
Do you plan on pulling people over with your personal FJ in an official role?

What exactly is a "volunteer" police officer?

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking of using the take down lights as my off road lights. and vlounteer police is someone who helps out with regular police just cant arrest or pull over people but can do parking tickets or traffic control, search and rescue, but don't get paid sits benefits the community, last year the county i am in the volunteers worked over 6000 hours imagine how much money that saved tax payers. the police get a lot of dumb calls where real police are not needed so they would send us

·
Registered
493 Posts
OK that makes sense then.
I suppose that those would work for off road lights then.
What County/Town are you volunteering in?

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
493 Posts
I grew up around there. Knowing that area, (and the politics) i think that ANY kind of flashing lights will be more of a hassle than they are worth.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not sure what "take down" lights are...can you explain?
Thanks

Out here in CO there are lots of trucks running around with red lights on top, usually they are search and resucue volunteers. They are allowed on top tof the vehicle, they just can't be on unless they are on a call.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Flood Light - very low flat and wide beam for showing only the road surface. It tries to shine underneath the fog.

Driving Light - A flood pattern that is much higher than a fog light pattern. Used for general off road lighting.

Pencil beam - looks very focused and narrow shining very far ahead of the vehicle. Used for seeing farther ahead than the Driving lights. Usually only needed for higher speed travel.

Take a look at some of the light maufacturers websites and they will have pictures or graphical representations of the different light patterns.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Flood Light - very low flat and wide beam for showing only the road surface. It tries to shine underneath the fog.

Driving Light - A flood pattern that is much higher than a fog light pattern. Used for general off road lighting.

Pencil beam - looks very focused and narrow shining very far ahead of the vehicle. Used for seeing farther ahead than the Driving lights. Usually only needed for higher speed travel.

Take a look at some of the light maufacturers websites and they will have pictures or graphical representations of the different light patterns.

Thanks, but I want info on "Take Down Lights", I know they are bright because I have been taken down.

:cheers:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just googled Take Down Lights and found a description that says they are lights mounted on the side of the light bar and aimed outward 15 degrees. This for when a cop pulls over a car, then parks his car at a 15 degree angle behind the suspect. This leaves the take down lights shining on the suspect in the car.

Whatever happened to a good old pillar mounted spotlight?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they still have them, take down lights are used to blind a suspects car so he cant see the police officer walking up to the car. pillar lights are use to blind the right side mirror so you cant see if anyone is walking up on your right

·
Registered
493 Posts
they still have them, take down lights are used to blind a suspects car so he cant see the police officer walking up to the car. pillar lights are use to blind the right side mirror so you cant see if anyone is walking up on your right
I got yelled at once for adjusting my drivers side mirror so the light was shining back in the officers face as he was sitting in the car running my information.
I thought it was quite funny...:lol:

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I just googled Take Down Lights and found a description that says they are lights mounted on the side of the light bar and aimed outward 15 degrees. This for when a cop pulls over a car, then parks his car at a 15 degree angle behind the suspect. This leaves the take down lights shining on the suspect in the car.

Whatever happened to a good old pillar mounted spotlight?
This is some what accurate, but generally they are not mounted on the outside of the light bar. They are generally on the front of the bar. They are also equipped with side mounted "alley" lights which are designed to do just as the description says... Light up alley's, illuminate house numbers, anything situation that might need some extra light on the side of the patrol car.

Well, there more for lighting up the inside of the car, so the officer can see if anyone is trying to do any "last second stashing", or better see their movements as he's approaching the vehicle.

To answer your original question, in most cases,take down lights designed for police use, won't have the same affect as a good set of off road lights. Take down lights are designed to illuminate a small area right in front of the vehicle. Though most light bar manufactures now offer LED take down and alley lights which are considerable better than the halogen lights their replacing, off road lights have nearly endless uses depending on what your looking to do.

What kind of lighting package are you looking to do? Are you sure you want to go with a full light bar? Have you thought about doing some kind of dual head module in the front and side windows? Arrow stick to the rear with some hide-a-way LEDs in the turn signal/taillight housing's? Do you have a roof rack?

I build police cars for a living. Maybe i can help put together some kind of a package for you.

Here's a security FJ cruiser we built. Light bar, grill lights and lights on the rear bumper.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts