Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.... First, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum. I've been reading, learning, bleeding, and crying for the last 3 weeks trying to get all the information for my upcoming FJ purchase (next Saturday!). I have finally decided on almost everything (Icon Stage 1 lift). There are two remaining pieces - 1. UCAs and 2. diff drop.

1. As for the UCAs, everyone I have talked to is recommending Total Chaos, but here's my dilemma: the truck will be used almost exclusively for onroad driving with the occasional trail, beach, and snow mixed in (I live in SoCal, so snow will be infrequent during snowboarding trips). My main concern regarding UCAs is maintenance - I suck with tools, live in an apartment with no garage, and I want to do as little, if any, maintenance as possible - I want to minimize my chances of any weird noises or squeaking.

I was considering the Light Racing because, as I understand it, the ball joint is covered which prevents dirt from getting in and means less maintenance. The shops I'm looking don't carry them, but will install them. For what I'm going to be doing with the rig (mainly road driving), and my maintenance preference (none), which will work better between the Light Racing and Total Chaos (regardless of price)?

2. Do I need a diff drop? One shope says yes and one says no - based on the threads that I've read, I see about a 50/50 split. What are the benefits/drawbacks?

This truck will be my baby, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Total Chaos have a open ball which will require some maintenance to keep from squeaking. I personally have LR and are sealed with no maintenance required and are very strong. As for Diff Drop... your going to here it either way on here. Lots of people think its a waste I personally didn't mind spending $29 bucks on it.

Check out Other Suspension Products - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits have them delivered to your house and have the shop put them on.

Forum sponsor

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Camburg also makes UCAs that use a FACTORY ball joint. That means you'll be able to get replacements for a long long time. I run them and love them. As far as the diff drop goes, I don't run one, and haven't had any problems with my CVs. (that wasn't self induced lol) I would suggest not running with it and see how your CV axles do. If they start to seep you can always add the diff drop later. It's a real simple install. Welcome!:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camburg also makes UCAs that use a FACTORY ball joint. That means you'll be able to get replacements for a long long time. I run them and love them. As far as the diff drop goes, I don't run one, and haven't had any problems with my CVs. (that wasn't self induced lol) I would suggest not running with it and see how your CV axles do. If they start to seep you can always add the diff drop later. It's a real simple install. Welcome!:cheers:
Oy - You guys are way more advanced that I am. I sort of understand what a CV axel does, but I am not sure how I would watch them.... Is there any drawback to getting the diff drop? Please keep in mind that I am a complete newb when it comes to all of the indepth tech stuff, so please use terms that your 13 year old would understand (wait, make that 11 year old - haha).

As for the UCAs, it would be great to hear about how long people have had theirs and what type of maintenance they require (frequency, noises, etc.). Thanks again everyone!

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I would recommend that you get the diff drop. It's cheap and the only negative about the diff drop is that it reduces your ground clearance a little. Nothing that sounds like you are to worried about if you will only be going off road occasionally. The positive is that helps reduce stress on the cv joints caused by lifting the vehicle.
I have light racing uca and have had no problems with them. Have been running them for only about 10k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend that you get the diff drop. It's cheap and the only negative about the diff drop is that it reduces your ground clearance a little. Nothing that sounds like you are to worried about if you will only be going off road occasionally. The positive is that helps reduce stress on the cv joints caused by lifting the vehicle.
I have light racing uca and have had no problems with them. Have been running them for only about 10k miles.
Thanks - that's helpful. Plus, I think your truck is sick, so it even means more.... Anyone else's input would also be really appreciated.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've had my LR UCAs/diff drop on for 2 years now and no issues whatsoever!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts