Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running Bilstein 5100s and Light Racing UCAs with no problem. I added a winch and Demello bumper which dropped the front about 3/4". To get back the 3/4" I picked up a 1/2" top plate spacers from Toytec. Keep in mind that the Bilsteins are the same length as stock.

With the 1/2" top plate spacers, the boot of the UCA ball joint rubs the spring at full extension. This is only a problem with both wheels off the ground as the sway bar will limit the travel.

Question is, has anyone else seen this rubbing problem when using a 1/2" top plate spacer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I seem to remember that my replacement 5100's were noticably longer than the stock shocks I removed from mine. Maybe with the 1" top spacer you have too much shock extension?
Just a thought.
Might need to ditch the spacer and replace the spring with a stiffer one to get the nose back up.

VL

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
So the Bilsteins are set at stock height, no lift?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I seem to remember that my replacement 5100's were noticably longer than the stock shocks I removed from mine. Maybe with the 1" top spacer you have too much shock extension?
Just a thought.
Front Bilstein 5100's are the same length as stock. I am using a 1/2" top plate spacer NOT a 1".

So the Bilsteins are set at stock height, no lift?
They are at the top setting but where they are set doesn't matter. Full extension of the 5100 would be the same as full extension with an OME shock, or a stock shock, so others should see the same problem.

EDIT: Correction. In Bilstein's brochure, they claim the length to be 1/2" to 3/4" longer.

Bilstein's website shows the following for the 5100 that fits the front of the FJ:

Extended Length (IN): 22.56

I found one thread where they measured the stock shock length at 21.625"

Another shows 21.875"

..another they say is 21.5" but it looks longer.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/norcal-region/29669-stock-front-shock-dimensions-needed.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/29786-ome-front-shock-dimensions-needed.html

..and aha! I found a thread about UCAs touching springs. Just depends on the search terms used.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/67625-uca-touching-front-coil-spring-arrgh.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
My bad, I read 1/2" but my typing fingers left off the /2.
I have my original shocks in the shed and would be glad to measure them if you would like. I do remember laying them side by side and noticing the 5100's at least 1" longer but didnt measure the 5100.

VL

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, I read 1/2" but my typing fingers left off the /2.
I have my original shocks in the shed and would be glad to measure them if you would like. I do remember laying them side by side and noticing the 5100's at least 1" longer but didnt measure the 5100.
No problem. Thanks for the offer VL. I believe I am all set from the post links I found above.

The OME shocks are also about 1" longer than stock and Toytec suggests the 1/2" spacers to get to a full 3" lift. I'm doing no different with the 5100s by adding the spacers. I'll jack up one side tonight to see if the swaybar limits the downward travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts