Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Light Racing UCA's "issue"

988 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TIT-CRUISER 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm need some help with my light racing UCA's.

I'm a "SuperMod" Over at TN; FJ's sister forum.

The issue that I'm having is that the set of Light Racing UCA's I got in yesterday, has very little articulation range.

By the measurements that I have taken the LR UCA"s only have 15*-20* of "Off-Centerline" angle of articulation.

The stock UCA's have about 35*-38.5* of "Off-Centerline" angle of articulation.

As it stands if I were to install the Light Racing UCA's on my truck, I would have very little to NO Down travel.

Light RAcing Claims 45* of "Off-Centerline" range of articulation? this was posted on "Expedition Portal" forum:
• Our Upper Control Arms were designed work with a wide range of coilover shocks; from the stock Toyota units to long travel aftermarket shocks similar to the Light Racing or Icon units. This includes shocks that allow for a slight increase in droop travel.
• The increased travel was accommodated by using a ball joint with a higher range of travel. The stock Toyota ball joint has a 77° included angle (or 38.5° off centerline). Our design allows for a 90° included angle (or 45 ° off centerline). A spherical bearing (monoball) with high angularity inserts rarely has more than a 35° included angle. The angle of the ball joint plate is optimized for this increased ball joint travel.
• The sliding off-set ball joint that we use allows for a huge range of alignment adjustment rather than designing an arm with a static off-set and relying on the Lower Control Arm cam bolts for adjustment. This means the camber of our arm can be adjusted to the stock upper control arm geometry or it can be adjusted for proper camber in a 4” lifted vehicle. The caster can also be adjusted from stock numbers up to a 4° increase in caster for better high speed stability.
• Using a standard ball joint (instead of a monoball) and molded rubber inner pivots (instead of urethane) gives better ride quality, better longevity, lower maintenance, and quiet operation.
• We as a company have 30 years experience designing ball joints for aftermarket and OEM use. The design and quality of the ball joints used on these arms is top notch.
• Our arms are coated using E-coating. This is a process where the coating is electro-statically grown on the part. This is used for many OEM suspension components and gives superior corrosion protection to zinc plating, paint, or powdercoating.
Can anyone confirm this?

I may have a bad set?

I'll call SPC (the makers of these) on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone noticed this as well with their UCA's?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I'm hoping it's a bad set.

Because if they actually have a one that has the same articulation as the stock one's, or better? Then it would be perfect for what I need them for.

The design of these are great. I just need a ball joint that can articulate better.

I haven't installed them yet. I got them so I could do some personal R&D.

I currently have the TC UCA's But it is too much for my lift.

I hope they can correct this issue for me.

I'm just wondering if anyone had this same problem?

#4 ·
Well it's been a while but I finally got the good set of Ball Joints from SPC.

Both of these are at their maximum articulation:

The one on the bottom can clearly move a lot more. It appears that they needed to remanufacture the ball joints that's why it took so long.

There's a BIG Difference, in range of movement.

They have great CS So I'm sure if yours are bad, they will correct it A.S.A.P!

Good Luck Guys/Gals!:rocker:

#5 ·
Good to know that they fixed the issue for you!:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.