Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these installed with stock springs and when I turn or when I'm reversing they make a real loud, not good sounding, pop. It kinda feels like they're loose or something and they're moving around? Just looking at them nothing looks loose or put on wrong. I now have the toytec coilovers installed. Same problem. Would a picture help anyone to see if something was put on wrong?
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hey Chris, pictures always help. How certain are you that the UCA are popping? You said the pop when you're turning or reversing. Is it a single pop, or "pop, pop, pop, etc..." When in reverse is it while the wheel is turned, or even when just driving straight in reverse it will do it? I have LR UCA and do not have this problem. Hopefully we can get you back to normal.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Get someone to drive your car in reverse while you walk along next to it listening closely. You can pinpoint the noise this way and figure out exactly where it is coming from and which side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's more than one pop and it does it when the wheels are turned and when it's just straight in reverse. And then back into drive it will pop, like it's popping back into place. I'll try to get some pics soon.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
it almost sounds like the pivot bolt is not tight enough (long bolt at frame rail)... :thinkerg:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just found out if I slam on the brakes you can hear it move around. No popping. I'm guessing something is loose?
Maybe they forgot a spacer on the pivot bolt, and it wont tighten all the way? well here's a picture, maybe it will help..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you just have it aligned? Mine made a popping sound until I cranked down on the Lower Control Arm bolts. The little ones, not the cam that adjusts the alignment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks like the caster washer is in the wrong position. I believe the flat edge needs to point to the outside of the vehicle. Not sure if that is what is causing the popping but I would start there.

Yeah, Something doesn't look right in that pic- maybe it's the angle. The gold lock plate should have the SPC logo facing out and I don't see that. You may want to also check the castle nut and make sure it's tight- the guys who installed the UCA's may have tightened the nut without load, and the ball joint may not be in the spindle tight enough.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
X3... doesn't look right... should be the flat part with writing on it facing the tire.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just looked and that is the flat side that is on the outside. The other side is round. There is no spc logo. Did they send me the wrong parts or something?
I've always thought they were wrong. The rubber bushings is looses, like I can push it down and see the grease inside.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Do you have the part number of the UCAs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The popping is coming from your frame. Try putting a rubber piece between your bumper brackets and the frame. The frame flexes causing a popping because the two metals are popping. This happens when your are at an incline going to a flat surface. I hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts