Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While building your own FJC on Toyota's website, one of the options is "Auxiliary Driving Lights," not to be mistaken with the "Offroad Lights" on the roof rack. Does anyone know where these lights will actually be mounted? I imagine somewhere below the headlights on the bumper, or in the bumper? They are listed under accessories (meaning dealer add on), and probably won't be integrated as nicely as on the 4 Runner. If this is the case, I would probably rather go for a nice pair of PIAAs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
See the small lights under the headlights on the Mercury Mariner Hybrid in the banner ad between the last post and quick reply section on this page. Those are aux driving lights. As you point out, there doesn't seem to be a place to integrate them into the front clip of the FJC, without an external housing of some sort.

·
Registered
647 Posts
As far as lighting goes, what about those lights on the side-view mirrors? Are they just marker lamps or do they have some, unseen to me, purpose ??

I personally plan to be the first one to market "happy face" replacement lenses for those lamps....

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
maybe they're on the front bumper like the green SEMA one....that'd be hot

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Speaking of buying alternative lights.

Might I recommend Lightsource. They are an Aussie company I talked to at SEMA. Their lights are guaranteed for life, cheaper than Hella or PiAA, they feature adjustable beams (like a maglite - you rotate the housing to define spot or flood) and are bulletproof. I was really impressed with their guys at SEMA. They took the time to show the stuff off and they were DAMN impressive lights.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You know, maybe it's just me, but all these so called "brush guards", tailight cage protector thingies, skinny vestigial aluminum skid plate thingies that sticks out the front so she can see it but doesn't do a damn thing, are nothing more than suv metrosexualism. If you want real, functional protection for your vehicle, something that is engineered to integrate into the structure of your vehicle, something that is designed not to interfere with the workings of your airbag system, something that won't do more damage than less if you hit something like a deer - or by golly some actual brush, then don't waste your money on anything other than ARB. If my dealer tries to put that stupid "Genuine Toyota" brushguard or front "skid plate" on my FJC before he sells it to me it will be a deal killer.

Oh this is a lighting thread. Lights are good. I like light. The more the better. I like a backup light too. Lots of lights.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
ARB, ARB, ARB....

I mean, get lightsource lights, they're cool.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Percy do you have any info on that light brand you recommended earlier? Lightsource or something like that.

How long do we wait for the cool police mod with flashing mirror strobes? That is my umm 20th upgrade on my list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Percy said:
Speaking of buying alternative lights.

Might I recommend Lightsource. They are an Aussie company I talked to at SEMA. Their lights are guaranteed for life, cheaper than Hella or PiAA, they feature adjustable beams (like a maglite - you rotate the housing to define spot or flood) and are bulletproof. I was really impressed with their guys at SEMA. They took the time to show the stuff off and they were DAMN impressive lights.
Percy, funny you would mention that. My mechanic in Boulder is from New Zealand and a couple years back became the first reseller for Lightsource in the states. They are very cool lights. Only problem is the last time I looked at some, the smallest version was bigger than the FJC's headlights. Not really what I had in mind for an auxiliary driving light not to mention on-coming traffic would be swerving all over the place, they are really bright! The "bulletproof" concept isn't really that far off from really being bulletproof. My mechanic let me hit one of the lenses with a small hammer. My PiAAs have all kinds of cracks in them, and at ~75 bucks for a replacement lens, I gave up on that notion after a couple of times. If lightsource would make some smaller, non-offroad driving lights it wouldn't even be a question.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do you have a website link to lightsource? Also I think you have to switch them off when on regular road right, so brightness wouldn't be an issue. If they look like giant UFO's that might be an issue but otherwise something that can't break is good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't find a website for lightsource, but here is a little information about them. Lightsource Award

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
When I said, bullet proof, I meant it... these things can take a shotgun blast and if by chance you do manage to somehow break them, they are guaranteed, any component can be replaced. They have smaller versions now. I saw a bunch of sizes at SEMA. I will probably put my PIAA's or Hella's or whatever up for sale so I can get the lightsource versions. They really are completely badass.

I don't get excited about lights until I got my surefire at SEMA, then I started checking this stuff out. My little surefire (cheapest model they make) is brighter than a 4 D cell maglite. Those lightsource lights are brighter, stronger, cheaper and adjustable. What's not to like?

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you really want lighting I would recommend either Lightforce or Hella. Personally I have the Lightforce 240 XGT (non adustable) and they're amazing! Super bright and works wonders on long stretches of the trails :)

I just need to get a few fogs to make a new blend of visibility around the sides! Btw, the lightforce's are super light too! can't beat it since you can't break it and it's virtually shatterproof. No need to worry about rocks attempting to crack the lens.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Good Times said:
If you really want lighting I would recommend either Lightforce or Hella. Personally I have the Lightforce 240 XGT (non adustable) and they're amazing! Super bright and works wonders on long stretches of the trails :)

I just need to get a few fogs to make a new blend of visibility around the sides! Btw, the lightforce's are super light too! can't beat it since you can't break it and it's virtually shatterproof. No need to worry about rocks attempting to crack the lens.

Good luck!
So are the lenses quick removel for diffefferent colors or what?

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can easily add filters on the lightforce lights. I personally don't have any on mine and not sure if it's available for my model (240xgt) but I know for the 140,170,240 blitz models they're all adjustable (spot-pencil) and have optional colored lens for various applications. check out the website for more info. I would say the AU site is better than the USA one for 411 though.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I thought I had it wrong... lightforce... Aaaah, dirka, dirka, dirka - GREAT lights.

Explains why I couldn't find the website, eh? :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Percy said:
I don't get excited about lights until I got my surefire at SEMA, then I started checking this stuff out. My little surefire (cheapest model they make) is brighter than a 4 D cell maglite. Those lightsource lights are brighter, stronger, cheaper and adjustable. What's not to like?
If these things are the Surefire of driving lights, I'm in.

These guys appear to be a US distributor:

http://www.premierperformanceinc.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts