Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i apologize if this is in the wrong section but

I am currently in the market for two lights to put on my front stock bumper, i wanted opinions of KC and Lightforce lights but am open to any thoughts show me your lights!!!!

I also need a CB, i want it to be PA capable also. I was looking at the COBRA 29 but im....again...open to suggestions

also i wanted to grab a Bandi mount and i have no idea what would be a good antenna, id want one with a lot of range, the size isnt that significant, because id take it off when i parked most of the time.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
ShyamP,

I don't know about the lights, but...

Lots of choices with radios and antennas, too. Have you thought about where you want to mount it; what features you want/need; how much you want to spend? Since you mentioned removing the antenna often, do you really want a permanent mount or possibly a magnet mount?

My current radio is a Midland 1001z, has the PA option and RF gain control and costs less than $30. It works. Another very popular radio with similar features is the Uniden PRO520XL, less than $50. If you want to spend more, the Cobra 29 has a good reputation and another nice choice is the Galaxy DX929 if you like/want lots of features and controls. They all have the same 4 watt power rating but more money gets more features and better quality. If you want a small radio the first 2 are good choices; the other two are larger.

For antennas, generally taller is better for maximum transmission/reception range and your antenna choice/mount location is more important than your radio. If you use a Bandi mount buy a longer flexible antenna such as the Wilson 4' or 5' to get the tip higher above your roof. Some good magnet mount antennas are the Wilson Lil Wil, 500 and 1000 models or a K40. Again, the taller the better, and stick it in the center of your roof for best performance. After buying the radio and mounting the antenna where you intend to use it, have the antenna adjusted for lowest possible SWR. Many locals will have the meter or you can pay a CB shop to adjust it. High SWR results in lower performance and possible damage to your radio.

Also consider the obstacles that may be hitting your choice of antenna. If you get a Firestik antenna that doesn't flex be sure to use a spring under it.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,869 Posts
I've got two of the Light Force Strykers on my FJ and love them. I bought the extra set of snap on lenses in the yellow combo version and they put out a nice amount of light with a good wide pattern with a spot also. Real light weight too.

This is a package that was put together back a few years ago for a CB. The company is great to work with and you can go with the package, put together your own, or use it to compare different radios, antennas, etc.

Complete Toyota FJ Cruiser CB Radio System "Big Bill Combo" at WalcottCB.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for the CB i was willing to spend up to $200 for everything including
antenna
bandi mount
quick detachment
5' Wilson
spring if need be

I wanted the PA capability so if i want to get a speaker i can. The main thing i want though is a quality radio that works everywhere because i dont want to replace it. Hence the reason i sought out COBRA considering they have quite the reputation.

anyone know what CB any brand would be the best quality for a good price?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
anyone know what CB any brand would be the best quality for a good price?
In my limited experience (four or five cb radios over the years), Unidens are a little better shielded from electrical noise/RF interference than Cobras, at least the standard-sized models like the Uniden 78. Other than that, I don't think there's a huge difference between them all. They're all limited by law to 4 watts of power, so the cheapest one is just as powerful as the most expensive. If you're hard of hearing like I am, it's nice to have one with an adjustable gain, which the cheaper/smaller ones usually do not have.

BTW, you would probably get more answers to your questions if you made two separate posts, one in the Stereo/Electronics sub-forum, and one in the Interior / Exterior Visual Tech sub-forum. But since together they didn't really fit in either one, I didn't move it for you.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I am a big fan of the Cobra radios. The 29 is what I decided on for my rig. IT has a lot of very usable features. It also has more room in the case for mods such as an additional RF amp on the receive side. Here is how I mounted mine:

This is the 4ft Firestick, spring, and QD which is very handy! The SWR was easy to get down to about 1.3 with this setup.

And the coax cable routing from the Bandi mount in case you are interested. :)

So far, I am very pleased with the stock performance of the radio. Very quiet reception for the most part and plenty of speaker volume.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks guys as i see the COBRA 29 is PA capable too

can someone tell or direct me to everything ill need along with the CB to hook it up to a Bandi Mount?

and the magnetic antennas, if i need a temporary one which one is the best bang for the buck, and how would i go about setting that up

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
ill send you a pm

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
hope it helps out

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'd be patient and skip on the magnetic mount if you are planning on doing this permenantly. Just not a big fan of them.

You need:
Bandi Mount
Fire Ring 13ft Coax
Fire Stick antenna. (4ft)
Fire Stick stud mount
Fire Stick Spring
Fire Stick Quick Disconnect

All available on Amazon and eBay. Shop around, you can get some really good deals. I got all of my stuff on Amazon cheaper than any vendor I found online or in Vegas.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I got the cheapest CB I could from Radio Shack, it's a Midland. I have had no problems with it, it tuned up fine (I got the kit from Walcott without the radio), and lets me talk with other people on the trail with no problems at all. It is PA capable (there's a jack on the back to plug in your speaker), although I've never used it. I have it mounted in the center console similar to Vegas Nick above. I thought the quick disconnect was a good idea, but I don't think I've ever really taken it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
where did you guys power your cb's? I have mine running through the firewall directly to the battery but I get some feedback from something.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For lights it really depends on how much you want to spend, and what style of light you are looking for (driving, fog, euro, ATP). I've got Hella ralley's on my front bumper, and they put out good light, and were very reasonable in price. I'll post some pics below. The lightforce's are a bit more expensive, but they are a great light as well. I would probably steer clear of the KC's (no offense to anyone running those lights, just not a big fan of the quality). PIAA puts out a good product as well, and their ATP (all terrain pattern) style light seems very useable for any application. My brother is going to run those on his front bumper as soon as he has the $$$. A set of two will run ya about $220, which is a good price. What size light are you looking for? 4", 6" or bigger I run 3- 6 inch Hella's up front. These pics are Hella's only, stock headlights are turned off. Since that picture I have angled the lights out a bit more to give me a wider coverage area. Very happy with the light they put out though. Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
where did you guys power your cb's? I have mine running through the firewall directly to the battery but I get some feedback from something.
Straight to the battery is the best way. Don't run the power wires along side the antenna coax though, that can make noise.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am a big fan of the Cobra radios. The 29 is what I decided on for my rig. IT has a lot of very usable features. It also has more room in the case for mods such as an additional RF amp on the receive side. Here is how I mounted mine:

So far, I am very pleased with the stock performance of the radio. Very quiet reception for the most part and plenty of speaker volume.
Be aware! If you flip your rear seats down a lot, this setup might give you grief b/c the seat will hit the CB. I have mine installed like this, but rarely flip my seats forward, so no issue for me. Also, Take note of where your CB mic wire comes out. It might get too close to the armrest. FYI

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
Be aware! If you flip your rear seats down a lot, this setup might give you grief b/c the seat will hit the CB. I have mine installed like this, but rarely flip my seats forward, so no issue for me. Also, Take note of where your CB mic wire comes out. It might get too close to the armrest. FYI
same problem i got but i solved that by taking the bottom part of the seat out when i have to flip it down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts