Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I've recently started leaving my headlights on all the time and just letting them do the "auto-off" thing. I actually like it as I feel it provides better visibility on the road, however.. Today we had been out produce shopping and delivered some to my father-in-law. I opened the windows and parked in the shade to keep things cool for a short stop (20min) when we return my lights are still on. The key fob alarm control wouldn't lock or unlock. So I walk up and turn the light switch off and they go off (of course). Drove home and parked with the windows up and they turned themselves off as they should.

Is this the way everyone's work and can it be remedied? Thanks.. Ron

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Mine shuts off even when the truck's windows are down, you just have to lock the car to make the lights go out.:bandit:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The key fob alarm control wouldn't lock or unlock.

That is not normal behavior.

If the lights are left on after the engine has been run, they will indeed shut themselves off at somewhere around 60 seconds (I think).

If you hit the fob lock button twice the lights shut down immediately (like Dave said)

If the lights are turned on after the ignition is turned off, I have never known them to shut off automatically.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Friends of mine were asking me if my "big fancy truck" had auto-lights and I had no clue what they were talking about....lol...We went out in the yard and tried them....But I didn't lock the doors......Mystery solved!!!!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify.. I drive up, roll down windows, open rear window and walk away.. When I return (20min0 they're still on.

I press the remore buttons to no avail, so I close the rear window, get in and turn off the light switch.

Back on the road I turn the light switch on again and drive home. I park in my garage close all windows and get out... the lights turn off as normal..

Something won't let the lights turn off with the windows down and that back window open... Nor could I arm the alarm.. Ron

That is not normal behavior.

If the lights are left on after the engine has been run, they will indeed shut themselves off at somewhere around 60 seconds (I think).

If you hit the fob lock button twice the lights shut down immediately (like Dave said)

If the lights are turned on after the ignition is turned off, I have never known them to shut off automatically.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the timer for the auto-off starts when the last door is closed.

Leaving the rear window open is seen as a door is still open. Dome lights stayed on, little red indicator light on the dash was still on. you can leave the front windows down but the back window has to be closed.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bingo... That must be it,,, The back/rear window was thew only unknown.. Thanks.. Ron

Leaving the rear window open is seen as a door is still open. Dome lights stayed on, little red indicator light on the dash was still on. you can leave the front windows down but the back window has to be closed.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I have found the same, if the rear window is open, the doors won't lock, if they won't lock, the lights don't go out it they are manually turned on. Unusual, but normal for the FJ.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts

yup! the truck sees the back window as being a door open...

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
This can all be solved, first turn the key on, set the ODO to trip A, get out the passenger side window, spin counterclockwise 3 times, run around and crawl in the drivers side window, turn key off and your done. :lol:

BirdMan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I also find it annoying that you cant lock the doors if the rear glass is open. I like to open that glass for the dog, but i dont want the front to be open. Oh well. I dont think many people would try to get in when they see my horse of a dog in the back. Granted he would sooner lick them to death than bite anyone. He's so useless...but i love em.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This can all be solved, first turn the key on, set the ODO to trip A, get out the passenger side window, spin counterclockwise 3 times, run around and crawl in the drivers side window, turn key off and your done. :lol:

BirdMan
I tried this twice and it didn't work, then my wife told me to put my pants back on...............and whala!

·
Registered
279 Posts

BirdMan
I tried this twice and it didn't work, then my wife told me to put my pants back on...............and whala!
I tried this as well. My lights wouldnt turn off but my wife is now pregnant. No really she is! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts