Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is who runs lights on the side's of there cargo racks and if so is it worth it? Do you find it worth the expense?, what type of lights do you use?, how did you mount them? I personally think it would be worth while but I’m unsure where to mount them. I.e. big open space between basket and light bar area or on the basket. I really don’t want to interfere with a high-lift jack/shovel/axe mount set up that I plan on adding latter down the road. I have already bought a Real Wheels light bar and four PIAA 540 driving lights for the bar, two generic flood lights to mount to the back of the factory rack via PIAA 3” round tube clamp style light tabs. Just hoping to find the time to pull apart the rack and do up the wiring. It looks like a big job. However the side light’s I’m still unsure about. I think they would be great for setting up the tent & camp in the middle of the night but for an off road purpose….Idunno. Really the side cast light from the lights off the front of the rack usually light up enough area to see 10 feet or so off the side of the vehicle. Plus most of the lights I have seen would look IMO rather silly on the factory FJ rack. I would like to hear some other people’s opinions here. Please post pictures if you have already done this mode & thanks in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
they work great as rock lights, or camp lights. i've seen guys who do serious rock crawling setup floods underneath their rigs, tucked up in the frame or behind the bumpers to illuminate rocks at night, and i'd assume it'd be easy to accomplish a similar task with roofrack lights too. but dont take my word for it...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ive been looking around and I see most mount the floods to the lower bar of the roof rack.

Just like Runt, I dont want to lose mounting points for axe shovel and hilift, plus I want to make sure I can light up the areas directly adjacent to the vehicle. It would appear to satisy both requirements I would need to mount on the upper bar. I am concerned about how it would look though, anyone got any pictures of this type of install?. I have 4 2x6 Kc, 1 each side and 1 each for rear corners.

Also, these lights didnt come with covers, what are the regulations in CA regarding side and rear mounted auxillary lighting? Should I just point them up when on highway?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You should have enough room to mount your lights on the upper rack,just farward of the rear lower potion of the rack. Just above the door. Just like i did mine.

They work great, and are in a perfect spot for lighting up the hole side of the truck. Your lights are a bit bigger than mine, but if there 2x6, they should fit. Here's the rear...

As far as Cali regulations, as far as i know, there are no laws about side, or rear facing clear/spot lights. As long as there not on while your driving, your ok. You shouldn't have to point they up.
Also, i'm in the process of mocing up my high lift, and shovel/axe set up on the sides of the roof rack like most have. The lights won't be interfearing with the any of these accesories at their present location.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
As far as Cali regulations, as far as i know, there are no laws about side, or rear facing clear/spot lights. As long as there not on while your driving, your ok.
That's not exactly correct. The California Vehicle Code has very extensive regulations regarding accessory lighting, including "work" lights. It's just that it's not anything that is usually enforced...

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you have the time, make the side lights operated by seperate switches. The passenger might want to light up their side independent of your wishes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Gronch I just might do that separate switch!
*** (got the answer already --- northern tool. There 55 watt "wide spot lights" ) 5150 those are really nice lights, real compact. What are they, as well as what wattage? I might have to send these kc's back. I'm headed to walmart in the AM!!!

And it seems Crusierlarry hit the nail on the head. It appears the cvc technically does not allow side or rear mounted floods, so in order to be safer I will mount them on the upper bar and have them point upwards when not in use (I hate being pulled over, and certainly dont wanna give anyone an opportunity if it can be avoided!!). I wont be able to get full upward rotation if mounted on the lower bar, and I dont plan to use any tab brackets.

Here is the c&p of the most pertinant code i could find

Utility Flood and Loading Lamps
25110. (a) The following vehicles may be equipped with utility flood or loading lamps mounted on the rear, and sides, that project a white light illuminating an area to the side or rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet at the level of the roadway:

(1) Tow trucks that are used to tow disabled vehicles may display utility floodlights, but only during the period of preparation for towing at the location from which a disabled vehicle is to be towed.

(2) Ambulances used to respond to emergency calls may display utility flood and loading lights, but only at the scene of an emergency or while loading or unloading patients.

(3) Firefighting equipment designed and operated exclusively as such may display utility floodlamps only at the scene of an emergency.

(4) Vehicles used by law enforcement agencies or organizations engaged in the detoxification of alcoholics may display utility flood or loading lights when loading or unloading persons under the influence of intoxicants for transportation to detoxification centers or places of incarceration.

(5) Vehicles used by law enforcement agencies for mobile blood alcohol testing, drug evaluation, or field sobriety testing.

(6) Vehicles used by publicly or privately owned public utilities may display utility flood or loading lights when engaged in emergency roadside repair of electric, gas, telephone, telegraph, water, or sewer facilities.

(b) Lamps permitted under subdivision (a) shall not be lighted during darkness, except while the vehicle is parked, nor project any glaring light into the eyes of an approaching driver.

5150 those are really nice lights, real compact. What are they, as well as what wattage? I might have to send these kc's back.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I also used the lights from Northern Tool, one on each side and two on the back. They light up well and are cheap at 2 for $10. Easy to mount as well. The only change I made to them was to round over the mounts so the fit on the bar of the roof rack.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That's not exactly correct. The California Vehicle Code has very extensive regulations regarding accessory lighting, including "work" lights. It's just that it's not anything that is usually enforced...
Good to know. Funny, i build emergency vehicles,and asked a highway patrol sargant about my lights. He told me they were fine. Just goes to show that you should always look up the law instead of just relying on one single officer to tell you the law. But yes, this is somthing never gets inforced.

Sandman450f,
yes, my lights are the northern tool 55watt lights. Also, i would strongly advise against mouting your lights on top bar of the rack. Mounting them won't be a problem of course, but not only will it be less visually apealing, the'll also going to add additional hieght that will prevent you from making it under certain parking garages. My rig with a 3" lift needs a minimum of 6 10' garage to make it in. Just a friendly heads up. :)
Also, i really wouldn't be worried about cops messing with you. Techniclly, pointed up, down, or to the side you still have them mounted. I use my rear lights regularly when backing up. You'd be surpised how helpfull they really are.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went and got Rally fog / driving lights from Pep Boys for 25 bucks and made my own wire harness. Works really really well for camping / night shoots and definately helps in off road situations IMO.

My subwoofer button came in handy for a rack light button till i order some new ones!

EMT Clamps work well to hold the lights on with some simple mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts