Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all :smile

I'm obviously a newbie here and I just need some good feedback/opinions on LineX'ing my '07 Titanium Metallic.

I've had it since 2010, bought it used with about 45k miles. It now has just over 138k miles and I fully intend to keep it running FOREVER. Although, about three weeks ago the oil light began to stutter and scared the heck out of me. Luckily my dad knows his way around a truck and was able to work out the problem. Just a bad oil filter and some debris clogging the oil pick-up tube. It's been running like a champ ever since. :grin

Facts to consider:
  • there are a few fairly superficial scratches and a few chips here and there
  • very minor fading in some areas that most people don't notice
  • there are a few dents that need to be popped out, including a rather large one where a deer ran into the side of me :mecry:
  • there's a gouge over the windshield from a wiper blade mishap (don't even ask :|)

I can have it done locally for ~$3,500 if I go with the typical black color. Also, when I got the estimate, they didn't specify whether it was for Body Armour or Ultra? Are they the same thing? If not, what's the best? Does this lower the value?

I live in a fairly urban area (unfortunately) and constantly worry about dings and scratches in parking lots. If I'm going to get dings and scratches it better be from my adventures in the woods, not from some old lady with a shopping buggy or a stupid kid slamming their door into the side of my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Are you wanting a Black Line-X FJ ? You do know you can get it any color . I had a little aluminum fishing boat that i had the inside line-x in a grey looked really good. I know the black is kinda hard to keep looking clean . I have a Black FJ and it is me least fav color . I Have a 74 Fj 40 also that is Oem a tan color . I have thought about haveing my FJ Line -X a tan color as well . But i will probably just Paint it

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I was quoted 10k to do an "Ultra" Line X paint. No color change. I laughed. We only have two cities in Texas that have shops spraying Ultra, Dallas and Houston. One quoted 10k the other 6k. Both shops have seen the vehicle and know what I want to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I, too, have an '08 in Titanium (1D4). Even though I keep it clean and waxed, the paint is showing definite signs of impending failure (it was not garaged by its previous owners). Having painted, professionally, I've been weighing the pro's and cons of conventional paint vs Line X. I've seen vehicles done with the standard, high-build Line X and some with Ultra. Line X Ultra is compelling because it can be color-matched and it doesn't go on nearly as thick.

The down side of going with Line X is the specialized spray equipment required and the proprietary materials which are only available to authorized franchisees. Both of those requirements leave us at the mercy (and skill) of those franchises who are willing to do the work. @Effero... for the $10K price tag you were quoted, how far down is the dealer going to disassemble your rig? Taking an FJ apart to do a quality paint job is no small feat. For the price quoted, are they doing anything custom (graphics, overlays, etc.)? Even if it's only a "basic" job, $6K seems really pricey. Without seeing your rig or a detailed estimate, I can't really get a feel for what normal is with this material.

Think I'm going to subscribe to this thread as I'm definitely interested in how things progress

1 - 5 of 5 Posts