Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those brave souls that hit most of the trails at the 2008 Summit can you rank them from easiest to the toughest for the rest of us?

Logansky

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
IMHO, Black Bear holds the fear factor record for scariest first 100 yards. Not technically difficult, but huge scare factor. After that, good trail all the way down with a couple of nice tight turns. That first 100 yards though. Wow.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
The toughest trail up there that I'm aware of is Poughkeepsie Gulch. It is substantially more difficult than any of the others. There are some very difficult obstacles above the Tomboy Mine heading up to Imogene Pass from Telluride, but you have to go looking for them since they're on offshoot trails off the main trail. Black Bear isn't difficult at all, it's just a bit scary if you haven't done it before. There are a number of other off the beaten path trails that might have some difficult sections, but I haven't tried all of them.

Jim

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Fear factor: Black Bear. As breauxtus said, the first 100yards were pretty high on the pucker scale. I did it twice cus i thought it was so fun.

Technical: ummm... Nah, most of the trails i did were pretty simple :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
ok, so tell me the straight truth, since I didn't get to do black bear... would I have been OK in my stock 4x4? I was told last year that BB was fine in straight stock. This year I was questioned about my shoes and after I confirmed the BFG ATs I was told I was cool. Then I was told I was in trouble without a lift. Never got a chance to prove one way or the other, but I don't plan to lift anytime within the next $17,000, so maybe next year I'll get to stay long enough to prove my stock baby worthy of Black Bear. Any thoughts? :)

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
ok, so tell me the straight truth, since I didn't get to do black bear... would I have been OK in my stock 4x4? I was told last year that BB was fine in straight stock. This year I was questioned about my shoes and after I confirmed the BFG ATs I was told I was cool. Then I was told I was in trouble without a lift. Never got a chance to prove one way or the other, but I don't plan to lift anytime within the next $17,000, so maybe next year I'll get to stay long enough to prove my stock baby worthy of Black Bear. Any thoughts? :)
The first day i went through BB the TT group leader didn't want a stock rig running it, but the second day i saw two stock rigs make it down just fine ;)

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Scariest trail was Imogene from its summit to Telluride! That is weaving through all the skiers and their vehicles!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
We took a bone stock FJ down black bear, the TT wouldn't let him run it so we did it on Sat afternoon, no issues. The 'dropoff' is as technical as it gets, probably a 4/10. Poughkeepsie is the toughest, but we haven't run it so I'm not sure how tough.

Both Imogene & Engineer were tougher this year than last, but still not more than a 3 of Engineer & 4 for Imogene. Imogene's rating comes from one obstacle in particular that was tricky, we managed to get hung up for a second on the harder line.

Ouray is known for it's amazing beauty, not it's tough trails. A stock FJ (even with dunlops) and an experienced driver can do all but Poughkeepsie IMHO. The scenery is simply amazing!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You certainly don't need a lifted FJC to do Black Bear. This year, traction was a concern due to the loose material still on the trail after opening the day before, especially on the initial descent and one of the switchbacks, so stock all-season tires would have been even more puckerific.

Traildamage Ratings (1-10)

2-2 California Gulch
2-2 Imogene Pass (or 6+ with optional mine obstacles)
2-2 Ophir Pass
2-2 Stony Pass
2-3 Yankee Boy Basin
2-4 Engineer Pass
2-5 Corkscrew Gulch
4-5 Governor Basin
5-5 Black Bear Pass
5-8 Poughkeepsie Gulch

TrailDamage.com

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scariest trail was Imogene from its summit to Telluride! That is weaving through all the skiers and their vehicles!

cheers,

dale
I have a huge fear of hights so I agree - Imogene scared me to death! I felt like we were hanging off a cliff the entire time...and it went on & on. Everyone made such a big deal out of Black Bear but my husband insisted we do it anyway. I was the passenger and it was very uneventful and he even agreed that driving wasn't a big deal either. Tim from the TT was spotting and he did a great job!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts