Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wheelin' down in Attica, IN last weekend a large, forked branch found the spot between my lower control arm and the CV shaft, destroying the boot in the process. Now I have a question for you gents. 250k miles on the odometer, do I just get a boot kit ($30), aftermarket CV shaft ($100) or OEM shaft ($500). Also, since I'm sure this has never been off before, any tips such as if I should replace the lock nut, or special tools I'm gonna need? Thanks guys!

Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Makes me wonder - why don't they make these for the FJ Cruiser?

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I bought aftermarket CVs when mine finally wore out. They are fine its been a couple years. I also bought the boot rebuild kits and rebuilt my OEM Cvs for whenever the aftermarket CVs die Its a messy job but not difficult :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unless they're making noise I would just reboot the existing ones and the seals while your at it, get all your money out of them. Messy job, hardest part is getting the axle out, some use that rope/lasso. If you do decide to replace the whole axle I would still reboot those and keep on in the truck if you wheel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would buy a Toyota reman'd CV shaft for about $100 and either collect the core charge from your current shaft or rebuild it when you have time for another replacement.

Toyota p/n:
43430-60040-84
So it's $100 for a reman shaft from the dealership, or $250 from CVJ axles. am I missing something here??? Why such a price disparity?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would buy a Toyota reman'd CV shaft for about $100 and either collect the core charge from your current shaft or rebuild it when you have time for another replacement.

Toyota p/n:
43430-60040-84
And are you sure thats the correct part number? Front Axle for a FJ is part number 43430-60061, so would the reman part be 43430-60061-84? I'm just guessing though.

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
And are you sure thats the correct part number? Front Axle for a FJ is part number 43430-60061, so would the reman part be 43430-60061-84? I'm just guessing though.
Thanks. I edited my post. I swear I saw that part number I posted somehwere on here but its for a Land Cruiser instead. 43430-60061-84 is correct for an FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
They make them, look what they do to ground clearance.
Show me...

I had a set of Ricochets in the past, I don't think they went up that high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so here's what I ended up doing...
I ordered the reman from Toyota, which is back-ordered. Could be a couple weeks, could be a couple months. No biggie, as the boot just broke and even if the joint is shredded by the time the replacement part comes in it's only $100 more to get another new CV to hold onto as a spare than to re-boot a good joint. And I don't care how long the wait might be for the spare part as we're going into winter anyways.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Voodoo Blue, 6 Speed Manual w/Full Time 4WD, Fully Loaded, ORIGINAL OWNER
37 Posts
So wheelin' down in Attica, IN last weekend a large, forked branch found the spot between my lower control arm and the CV shaft, destroying the boot in the process. Now I have a question for you gents. 250k miles on the odometer, do I just get a boot kit ($30), aftermarket CV shaft ($100) or OEM shaft ($500). Also, since I'm sure this has never been off before, any tips such as if I should replace the lock nut, or special tools I'm gonna need? Thanks guys!

View attachment 1216278
The genuine Toyota OEM shafts are probably your best bet since yours have a lot of mileage on them. There are good reasons to go aftermarket too, but the Toyota OEM parts are very high quality and they can take a serious beating. Having said that, Chromoly aftermarket shafts are the way to go if you want an upgrade, I am sure there are many threads on this forum with recommendations on brands. What ever you do don't by the "no-name" crappy OE style replacements most of the autoparts stores sell (they are all garbage), they all fall apart and are far lower quality than Toyota OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I have replaced 3 CV axles for torn boots, OEM and third party, none have broken in lots of wheeling. I'm sure if you're a hopper lifted 3", you could break more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts