Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thank you so so much for this and updating the photo links! I am doing this Saturday and I'm going to have my iPad by my side the whole time. I have a feeling these will be used over the OME directions. They should omit theirs and refer to yours for installation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the thread! I installed mine today- took about 5 1/2 hours (but I didn't have any friends helping). The Service manual pages were also very helpful - links were on the PureFJcruiser site.

My friendly neighborhood 4x4 shop wanted to charge me $700 just for the install. Ha ha. Also- O'reilly's loans out coil compressors (I picked up two sets - 4 compressors total). It was $100 deposit, and a full refund when I return them.

Next project will be a bumper :)

Ride high- c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome write up and super easy install. Thanks heaps.
Took me 4.5 hrs on my own using a bottle jack :mercy: and the $30 I spent on a pair of car stands as opposed to $500 on a mechanic install was well invested.

I installed a 2inch Tough Dog set up all round with Tough Dog heavy duty springs.
Rides like a dream now, stiffer, more clearance and far more balanced than the factory kit.

Gained 2inches (50mm) in the rear and 3inches (75mm) in the front.

I installed the steel TJM bar on factory springs a few months earlier which dropped the front about an inch.

:ninja:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
A huge thank you for taking the time to post this and keep it alive. You made my OME install much easier, I'm positive it would've been a disaster without you. The FJ rides so much better, and I smile a heck of a lot more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also used this thread yesterday. While my install was Toytec/5100, the steps were similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used this thread to do my install too. Awesome and THANK YOU!!!

Couple things to add:

I removed sway bar, but rather than deal with spindles or ball joint separators, I just popped the tie rod out by removing the castle nut. Strut and coil literally fell out onto my hand (ouch) the moment I unbolted the first tie rod! Point is, it slides out super easily. Just be sure to re-torque the castle nut to 54 lb/ft and replace the cotter pin.

TIP: I also use the OEM bottle jack placed upside down in the wheel well and push the upper control arm down to facilitate the installation - this forces the whole system into a full droop position and makes it easy to slide the coilover right into place on the upper and lower. Especially once the tie rod is out of the way! I learned this working on a couple installs on my old 4runner.

COUPLE ISSUES:
Nowhere in this post is mention of the orientation of the lower spring seat brought up. I'm having some minor issues contacting the sway bar now. Any pics of lower spring seat and spring "clock" (rotational alignment) would be helpful here. Keeping in mind that 884, 885, 886 springs are all slightly different in length as well.

Also, I did not keep track of whether the strut top hats are identical side to side, or if they are right and left specific. Please advise if they are because I did the install and now have no idea if they are in on the right sides or not!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just recently joined thus Forum, but use it often! I wanted to log in to comment on this awesome thread! I have done two lifts using these instructions. My first lift was tough due to the limitations of my UCA and the challenge to "unscrew" the coil. I did not want to pull out the A arm... Anyway, the second time I replaced the UCA with the LR (love it!) and also added the Toytec 2.5 lift spring (part 514600). It was so much easier to get the new coil in and to get the new strut/coil into position. I would recommend to anyone that is is worth the extra time to take the UCA and spindle apart! THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS GREAT THREAD! :rocker:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a coil-clocking question like PaleHorse. Does it matter which direction the bottom end of the coil faces, as in to the rear, front, etc.?

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 6 MT, TRD catback, TRD CAI, RESZFAB 3H Bumper, TC UCA, OME 2.5" lift, BMC
30 Posts
Just printed out these instructions and plan on doing the install after work today with the help of a friend! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts