Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought some 17" 4runner wheels for my tundra, and these wheels also fit the fj. Unfortunately, biggest tire the tundra can take is a standard fj size, 265/70 17. Trying to find good tires AT not noisy in load range c, or D. I have found the coopers, and the falkens already, a bit spendy and some bad reviews on the falkens.

So, does anybody have good words about other, possible off brands in 265/70 17,, in load range C or D?

Many of the new tires are rated load index, which dosent seem to translate into load range, so if thats what I have to go by, then whatsa good choice in load index? I want tires soon. Right now both trucks riding on E rated tires and that is too hard of a ride, even aired down. They tend to wear badly when driven long time aired down anyway. I need some preferably C, or possibly D tires.

Oh and reason for staying with standard tire size is so I can swap between vehicles if needed. Thats the whole reason I got the 4runner rims for tundra.

·
Vendor
2,522 Posts
There are many solid choices for All-Terrain tires in the 265/70R-17 C tires such as Goodyear Duratrac, Nitto Ridge Grappler, and BFG T/A K02 tires. The BFG T/A K02 also comes in a D load rated tire as well.

Here is a link to all the 265/70R-17 tires online:

265/70R-17 Tires | Discount Tire Direct

Please let us know if we can help you choose the right tire.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just purchased some BFG KO2 265/70/17 and it is surprising quiet. At first I could slightly hear the noise because it was so new. But after 200 miles, I hear my muffler more than the tires. I was going to get the Nitto Terra Grappler but have heard it's noisier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh I had duratracs on another vehicle. Loud as hell. Will not tolerate those again. K02 are a bit to spendy.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
What do you expect to spend per tire?

Good tires that will stay in balance and last are not cheap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ugh I had duratracs on another vehicle. Loud as hell. Will not tolerate those again. K02 are a bit to spendy.

Yes they are. I lucked out because there's a shop close by that sells pull offs and I got my set of TRD Sema wheels with ko2 for $1K brand new.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,449 Posts
I run that exact tire in the Nitto Ridge Grappler on my company truck, very pleased with them. Very comfortable ride and very quiet, they also last forever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Walmart has some cooper discoverer at for about 117.00 each. These are 115T load index. I cant find any info as to 4 ply, 6 ply. They also have the same tire in 121T which is usually associated with being 10 ply. There are some really interesting tires out there, but no info as to ply rating.

One of the reasons I have kept the fj and not traded it for a 4runner or tacoma is ride quality. Its very plush for being such a beast off road. Its also fairly quiet. Worst noise is the occasional low frequency wistle from the roof rack, and of course cabin wind at highway speeds. The engine is quiet, exhaust is quiet, wind noise around town is minimal. Current tires are quiet, and getting very old.

Im currently searching web sites that might have tires ply rating in the specs. The link to discounttire was helpful.

·
Vendor
2,522 Posts
Walmart has some cooper discoverer at for about 117.00 each. These are 115T load index. I cant find any info as to 4 ply, 6 ply. They also have the same tire in 121T which is usually associated with being 10 ply. There are some really interesting tires out there, but no info as to ply rating.

One of the reasons I have kept the fj and not traded it for a 4runner or tacoma is ride quality. Its very plush for being such a beast off road. Its also fairly quiet. Worst noise is the occasional low frequency wistle from the roof rack, and of course cabin wind at highway speeds. The engine is quiet, exhaust is quiet, wind noise around town is minimal. Current tires are quiet, and getting very old.

Im currently searching web sites that might have tires ply rating in the specs. The link to discounttire was helpful.

The Cooper with the 115T (load index/speed rating) designation is a standard load (SL) tire which means it's 4-ply rated.

Circling back to Load Range, this determines the ply rating and it also determines a tires maximum inflation pressure.

·
トヨタ Master
5,620 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys. My point was to find a less expensive tire than cooper at3. The coopers are about 190 each, which is about 10.00 cheaper than the k02 BFG tires. In my searching, I have found more load range C choices in a different size. 255/75 17 has a few more in load range C. Im looking at some khumo road venture at51. Thought I had found them at about 150 each.

·
Registered
40 Posts
???? Were you driving around at 20psi? At 40+psi, the Duratracs I've used (on a Tacoma for over 40,000 miles, and now on my FJ) are suprisingly quiet. I had SOME noise on my Tacoma when running lower-30's on the pressure, but it went away when I went back to 40.

Just replaced the KO2's on my FJ with Duratracs recently. They may make a teensy bit more noise than the KO2's, but my wife didn't notice any difference.

·
トヨタ Master
5,620 Posts
Hi guys. My point was to find a less expensive tire than cooper at3. The coopers are about 190 each, which is about 10.00 cheaper than the k02 BFG tires. In my searching, I have found more load range C choices in a different size. 255/75 17 has a few more in load range C. Im looking at some khumo road venture at51. Thought I had found them at about 150 each.
Maybe another tire shop? I can sell you Cooper AT3 LT out the door price for $191.13, mounted & balanced with new TPMS service kits. $20 cheaper, I sell the AT3 4S out the door. Way better tire than Khumo or Hankooks. You won't get much tire for $150 these days in your size. Those days are just over unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts