Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm really close to lifting my FJ and keep thinking about where I might have problems driving if I get it lift. For example, I was driving in a parking structure in J Town and it looked so close that it got me a little nervous. Another time I was with a buddy in his lifted Silverado and we couldn't park anywhere in K Town and had to pay extra to the Valet just to park.

I really want to lift, but I don't want it to be a problem whenever I try going out. If you know a place you were unable to get into whether you were stock height or lifted, please list it and list what mods you have that caused you not to fit. I know there's probably people out there that can't even fit in your own garage. Maybe we can use this format:

Example

WHERE/LOCATION: Parking garage at Mitsuwa in Carson
CEILING CLEARANCE HEIGHT: 7' 11"
STOCK/LEVELED/LIFTED 3/LIFTED 6/ETC: Lifted 3 inch with OME
ROOF RACK: ARB roof rack
STOCK/SIZE OF TIRES:33's

Thanks for any info!:cheers:

Anthony

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
This is a great idea, I work in downtown LA with a OME 3 inch lift and I got lucky because I fit in my work parking garage on 1055 Wilshire barely with stock sized MTZ tires, but on the second level sometimes i scrape my roofrack on the sprinkler piping. I've tested this out, most of Orange County parking garages, you will be able to fit with a lift because they are newer and have the updated height code requirement but since most of the LA parking garages are old they conform to older standards so thats why you see parking garages with only 6'6" minimal clearance. I have found that with my OME 3 inch lift and tires, the minimal I need is 6'8" to clear.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
After lifiting, automatic carwashes are tricky, if you're into such a luxury.

Also, DON'T ask them to wash your car if you park it at "The Spot" by LAX. It'll rip parts of your roof rack. They are nice enough to pay, 6 months after the fact.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a great idea, I work in downtown LA with a OME 3 inch lift and I got lucky because I fit in my work parking garage on 1055 Wilshire barely with stock sized MTZ tires, but on the second level sometimes i scrape my roofrack on the sprinkler piping. I've tested this out, most of Orange County parking garages, you will be able to fit with a lift because they are newer and have the updated height code requirement but since most of the LA parking garages are old they conform to older standards so thats why you see parking garages with only 6'6" minimal clearance. I have found that with my OME 3 inch lift and tires, the minimal I need is 6'8" to clear.
Thanks for the input! That's really good information that I didn't know. Based on you needing 6'8" to clear with a 3 inch lift us stock height FJ's would barely fit in most LA parking garages that are 6'6". Also thanks for including the exact clearances, this way I can keep an eye out for anything lower than 6'6" that might be an issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mission viejo mall parking garage

LAX parking garage.

i cant fit anywhere below 7'8
DominicG - Just to be clear on your input, you have a OME 3 inch lift, stock roof rack, and ROOF TOP TENT right? I checked your build thread and I think that's all I saw. You must be pretty limited to newer parking structure since you can't fit under 7'8"!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
DominicG - Just to be clear on your input, you have a OME 3 inch lift, stock roof rack, and ROOF TOP TENT right? I checked your build thread and I think that's all I saw. You must be pretty limited to newer parking structure since you can't fit under 7'8"!

Thanks for the input!

yeah sorry i was drugged when i posted that.

3" lift and the RTT. I could not fit in one of the LAX garages without the tent though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Beverly Center (LA) Parking Garage for those of you who like to shop in Luxury.

The 2nd and 3rd floor of the Birch St Parking Garages for the AMC Movie Theaters in Brea, CA (OC Area) The 1st Floor is tall enough for me at least.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The Beverly Center (LA) Parking Garage for those of you who like to shop in Luxury.

The 2nd and 3rd floor of the Birch St Parking Garages for the AMC Movie Theaters in Brea, CA (OC Area) The 1st Floor is tall enough for me at least.
x2 Whenever I park there I hate only circling the first floor looking for parking

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
WOW! I go there frequently and luckily I've never had to go up to the 2nd or 3rd. I would have hated to go up unknowingly and scrapped my roof rack up.

But I'm not lifted, are you guys lifted?
I have 883's up front. Actually now that I think about it, I recall the clearance being 7'. I think my FJ was right at 7' with my Hi-lift mounted to the roof rack. I've since taken of the rack and hi-lift, so I'm pretty sure I should fit now.

I just hate driving under every concrete support piece, no matter how high, it always seems like its getting lower and lower.

I've seen stock FJ's up on the 2nd floor, so it may not even be a problem.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Kaiser Permanente on La Cienega the structure toward the east is 6'6" not counting the speed bumps. I had to air down to fit.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Bella Terra in Huntington beach. 6'6" is all. Stock FJ with rack will fit. Lifted, for-get-about-it!

Disneyland is a big yes. Even for 6" lifts with racks is OK. Height is like 8' 6".

My CB antenna hits everything. It stands 8' 7" from top to ground. Sux man.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bella Terra in Huntington beach. 6'6" is all. Stock FJ with rack will fit. Lifted, for-get-about-it!

Disneyland is a big yes. Even for 6" lifts with racks is OK. Height is like 8' 6".

My CB antenna hits everything. It stands 8' 7" from top to ground. Sux man.
That's interesting since that parking structure is actually pretty new.

From many of the responses here, it seems that in order to fit into most garages with a lift you may need to remove the roof rack.

Let's keep the locations coming. I'd like to put a spreadsheet together that everyone can use to find locations close to them and for locations they know they will travel to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Downtown LA, the Jonathan Club has a 7' max so a stock fj or one with a 3" lift will fit. Also, there is a parking garage on the east side of Fig at just north of 6th street that has 8' clearance.

For attorneys, the Van Nuy Courthouse has 8' clearance, the Pasadena Courthouse has a parking lot next door, the San Pedro Courthouse has street parking and a parking lot, the Ventura Courthouse has a parking lot, and the Riverside Courthouse (the old one) has street parking.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Lower parking level in Century City Westfield Mall is a no no. My stock Tahoe roof rack scratched when entering. My FJC with OME heavies all around is now higher than my stock Tahoe.

I haven't tried but the structured parking lot at Westside Pavillion in West Los Angeles is really low. Plus, the roof gets lower depending what stall you plan to park in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the Parking Spot tip... pheww I was going have them was my car next weekend when I was out of town.

I clear the Grove parking structure and the parking structurs in Santa Monica (3rd St) with stock and a roof rack.

However in Jtown, I scrap almost everything there as well as the LA central library parking structure.

UCLA, most lots but you may hit one of those crossing gates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts