Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang - this is one of those things that seems like no big deal, but man, it's been driving me nuts the whole time I've owned my FJ.

Does anyone know a hack that would let me lock the truck with the remote while the doors are open?

I'd like to be able to open the hatch, lock the doors, put my key away in my pocket to get my hands free, load 'em up with whatever I've got to unload, and nudge the hatch shut.

Right now of course, I have to leave my keys in hand until the hatch is shut - and then lock it - which means I can't load my arms up the way I would otherwise.

Tell me I'm not the only one!

(This one may be out there already but the search terms are pretty generic so it returns a mess of unrelated threads.)

Thanks folks, here's hoping! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I'm not sure about being able to do it from the factory remote, my Compustar lets me do this it just gives me an extra beep to let me know a door is still open.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi gang - this is one of those things that seems like no big deal, but man, it's been driving me nuts the whole time I've owned my FJ.

Does anyone know a hack that would let me lock the truck with the remote while the doors are open?

I'd like to be able to open the hatch, lock the doors, put my key away in my pocket to get my hands free, load 'em up with whatever I've got to unload, and nudge the hatch shut.

Right now of course, I have to leave my keys in hand until the hatch is shut - and then lock it - which means I can't load my arms up the way I would otherwise.

Tell me I'm not the only one!

(This one may be out there already but the search terms are pretty generic so it returns a mess of unrelated threads.)

Thanks folks, here's hoping! :cheers:
What you can try is:
Open rear door and locate the door open switch (on body passenger side between the 2 latch pieces).
Take 10mm socket and remove 1 bolt, then unplug harness from switch.
Replace switch and secure with bolt.
Done.

This will make the computer think the door is always closed which will allow the remote to lock the doors.

Downsides are:
The door open light on dash will not show the status of rear door.
You can inadvertently lock yourself out of the FJ. Because the computer will think the door is closed if you were to use remote to unlock the doors and then opened the rear door the timer will relock the doors even with the rear door open. The door if now closed will be locked.

By the way you ARE the only person that I know of that has requested this and I've been reading this board since 2005.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Here is as close as I can get to that:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-rear-window-release-button-installation.html

Rear window release. I mounted my switch in the back, a separate one to lock and unlock. The lock button is the one that pops the window open so this article is relevant. I'm not sure its the same write up I followed but it looks to be the same info. Simply install a switch in the back, then just press the button to lock the doors from the rear, the voila! I've done this on occasion when I press the button and didn't realize that doors were locked and I've had to unlock it just to get to the front doors. This is probably a lot easier than trying mess with the whole alarm system.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
By the way you ARE the only person that I know of that has requested this and I've been reading this board since 2005.
I never requested it but it bothers me too. I also don't like that it locks it's self. It's not a big deal, I just don't like it telling me when it locks or doesn't.... I guess FJ knows best...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Bothers me too. Sometimes, I wish I can lock the vehicle and get going instead of waiting for passengers to fully exit the vehicle. I could do that in the BMW.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys - I may go ahead and disable the rear switch, which will take care of the rear door at least.

You can inadvertently lock yourself out of the FJ. Because the computer will think the door is closed if you were to use remote to unlock the doors and then opened the rear door the timer will relock the doors even with the rear door open. The door if now closed will be locked.
I never requested it but it bothers me too. I also don't like that it locks it's self. It's not a big deal, I just don't like it telling me when it locks or doesn't.... I guess FJ knows best...
I hate that too - but that one you can change (or a dealer can) - it's on the list of things you can choose (flash lights on unlock?, etc etc). And I took that list in with all my preferences chosen - so mine no longer auto-relocks.

You can even specify whether or not you want it to *beep* when you try to lock the doors with one open, so it would make sense to be able to specify whether to allow them to lock in that case. But that's not on the list.

Bothers me too. Sometimes, I wish I can lock the vehicle and get going instead of waiting for passengers to fully exit the vehicle. I could do that in the BMW.
Yeah, that's another case when it's really handy.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hahaha... The first time I read this, I thought that when you said get going, that you meant get back underway, like you were dropping someone off. Then it dawned on me that you meant after you parked somewhere. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Lol I guess I wasn't clear! I blame phone posting :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you can try is:
Open rear door and locate the door open switch (on body passenger side between the 2 latch pieces).
Take 10mm socket and remove 1 bolt, then unplug harness from switch.
Replace switch and secure with bolt.
Done.
I just wanted to update this thread to say that for whatever reason, I'd still been cursing this issue even after making this thread - I guess I wanted to wait a while to see if a more specific fix came in, but then kinda forgot about it.

But today I stumbled upon it and revisited it - that quote up there is an elegant solution that works perfectly for me. I simply unplugged that switch, and taped the connectors together (touching but not connected). That way I can easily reach the wiring again if I ever decide to reverse it.

Again, my auto-lock feature is turned off, so the doors will never lock unless I tell them to. And this is a perfect fix for what I was cursing all along. Now I can open the rear hatch, lock the doors, put the key away, and then load up with groceries or firewood, nudge the door shut and walk away. Love it.

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
Now I can open the rear hatch, lock the doors, put the key away, and then load up with groceries or firewood, nudge the door shut and walk away. Love it.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts