Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our 11 FJ.

Was playing with the locking differential. trying to follow the manual.. wondering if I am doing something wrong..

Seems to take a while to engage/disengage.. how long should it take after pressing the button..and the red light flashes..til it stops flashing? Seems to take a minutes or so...(yes i'm in 4wd low)

Does the truck need to be on a slippery surface for it to engage faster?

Or just does it need to be used more ?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Under 5mph. If you are on a surface with some give/slip it should lock up with a slight jerk of the wheel. Mine takes probably a full rotation of the differential to engage. Maybe 5 seconds or so if in going slow.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a 2011 and mine takes forever also. Just think that's how it is.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Yes it's normal for it to take a second or two to engage (and disengage).

You shouldn't be locking your diff unless you're on slippery/loose ground that you can't get traction on anyway. By locking on a surface where you already have good traction you can cause the gears to bind, which can cause damage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it's normal for it to take a second or two to engage (and disengage).

You shouldn't be locking your diff unless you're on slippery/loose ground that you can't get traction on anyway. By locking on a surface where you already have good traction you can cause the gears to bind, which can cause damage.
I was stopped, in neutral.. so I can't imagine that would hurt anything.. Just sitting there..watching the blinkin red light..reving the engine in N.. Should I be moving to have it engage. The manual wasn't clear. Figured N was safe.

It takes upwards of a minute+ for it work.. just wasnt sure if it is normal, abnormal, or just needs to be exercised to work faster...or if i am doing something wrong.

Just trying to get the feel for it before I need it

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You won't hurt anything in neutral, but it won't engage without moving at least a little bit. The blinking locker light will turn solid when it does engage. Revving the engine won't help it engage, moving the axles will. The gears have to mesh up or something, someone with more gear knowledge can probably explain that part better than me. A minute sounds too long if you're actually moving. This is in comparison to an air locker, which is instant.

Find a dirt road and play around with it to get the hand of it. You won't want to do a lot of hard turning with the locker engaged (or in low range, the transfer case locks up too), but you shouldn't have any problems as long as the ground is forgiving enough to let the wheels spin at the exact same speed without hopping around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my problem is I am not moving.. id buy that.. The manual was not clear if I should be moving or not. I was afraid to move until it engaged.. should the truck be moving to disengage?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If you do not try to do it at high speed. Keep it under 5 MPH. Basic slow roll.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
If you do not try to do it at high speed. Keep it under 5 MPH. Basic slow roll.
This is the ticket.

You should not do this on pavement, but rather in dirt or gravel. The locker needs the open differential to turn a little until the teeth for both left and right axleshafts line up and the locker can engage. This will take a a couple of seconds and you will hear a small click sound and the locker light will go solid.

For disengaging the locker one of the axleshafts need to become unloaded for a moment to allow the lock to slide back out of place. Again this may take a couple of seconds, you will hear a click again and the locker light will go out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts