Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
i was thinking the same thing. i saw the report on the news about people stealing gasoline now. off to auto zone i go to get my locking gas cap.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts

So......................................
You think it might be the Stant #11504 then ehhhhhh? :thinkerg:

Thanks for the post...I just lost 12 gallons today and I am going to get one now! :flame:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
so whats the bomb on the caps, i have been looking for one, but not sure which one, advance didn't seem to have many..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I can vouch for the Stant 11504. Not familiar with anything else.
I tried an "off brand", had problems getting it to seat properly which caused all kinds of error codes. Since purchasing the Stant 11504, zero problems. Good stuff.:) Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
good investment, got mine at auto zone, 13 bucks.

·
Premium Member
17,117 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I like the idea, but question the effectiveness. I used one for years on my Jeeps and then the thieves started punching holes in the tanks and draining them that way. The locking caps also pop right off with vice grips and locking fuel doors pop right off with a screw driver. They will only stop a very casual thief or a very small kid. I've always worried more about a kid (or other) contaminating the fuel. I'd rather replace the fuel than repair the quarter panel. Then again, I've never lived in a high crime area.. Ron

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got one thru Toyota-

about $20 Cdn. Just a deterrent though, if someone really wants your gas, they're going to get it... Ever seen the Road Warrior AKA Mad Max 2?

·
Registered
466 Posts
after paying $50 today I ran to the auto parts and got me one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Go with the Stant. It's a PITA to take off, but that has it's good side too since no one can steal your precious fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Ditto on the locking Stant cap.

The one I bought has worked for me w/o any problems for over a year. The parts guys at my Toyota dealer initally warned me off of them, because I was told that, if they are not vented properly, they can cause vapor lock &/or trip error codes. I bought a Stant based on prior recommendations here and I've never had any such problems w/the Stant, but I can't say that for any other locking gas caps. If in doubt, always carry your OEM cap with you and if your engine stalls, remove the cap you bought and put the OEM cap back on to that you can get going again. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe a locking gas cap is not needed as a theft deterrent. I understand why people might want a locking gas cap to keep people from dropping something bad into their tank. I don't think you can actually get a siphon hose in far enough to steal your gas.

I actually tried it yesterday. I was in a remote location doing some clearing and cutting grass. I ran out of gas for my mower and just needed a little more to finish up. I've had a siphon hose in my FJ's tool box for the last year and a half. I tried it with no luck. I couldn’t even get it close to dipping into the tank. I crawled under to check out the fill line routing and realized how small and long the line is. Not to mention how many twists and turns the tank fill line has. It's not like this was my first time to siphon gas either. Most of my previous trucks had twice the diameter with only a couple of slight bends in the fill line. You can get about three feet or so of 1/2" tubing down the fill line before the tubing starts with the "helical coiling". In short, it starts binding and bunching up before it gets to the tank. Maybe with lots of patience and plenty of time you can get a siphon hose in far enough to work.

Has anyone successfully siphoned gas from their FJ?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Maybe a locking gas cap is not needed as a theft deterrent. I understand why people might want a locking gas cap to keep people from dropping something bad into their tank. I don't think you can actually get a siphon hose in far enough to steal your gas.

[snip]

Most of my previous trucks had twice the diameter with only a couple of slight bends in the fill line. You can get about three feet or so of 1/2" tubing down the fill line before the tubing starts with the "helical coiling". In short, it starts binding and bunching up before it gets to the tank. Maybe with lots of patience and plenty of time you can get a siphon hose in far enough to work.
I haven't tried it, but would it be possible to put a wire (a coat hanger is probably too thick and not long enough; flexible aluminum wire comes to mind) inside the tubing to get it down into the tank and then remove it before beginning to siphon out the gas?

BTW, even if it can be defeated, a locking cap (like a "Club) is a visual deterrent to amatures who might otherwise try to siphon your gas (and mess up your FJ) even if it's impossible to actually siphon any gas out of the tank. In that case, they'll just punch a hole in the bottom of the OEM tank -- or, in my case, if they know what it is, just unbolt and disconnect my MAF aux tank! :eek:

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Got mine at NAPA under the P/N listed elsewhere. NAPA didn't have a listing for the FJ.

It works fine. A little tight getting the key in when the cap is installed. I keep the key on a ring with like 20 other keys. Then I lock the cap before installing. Now that I am sure I will keep the cap I will remove the plastic lanyard that is still attached to the fuel door.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes the fill tube is small, But I think that the main tank has a roll over fuel stopper. Next time under one I will check if that is what is there. If that is what you can see at the fuel tank fill point, then the only way too get fuel out is a hole in the bottom.:mecry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts