Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a visit to the car wash I drove my FJ Cruiser off and discovered that the rear end was locked in (dash light flashing). The car wash guy must have accidently pushed it when cleaning. I drove approx. 3 or 4 miles on dry pavement at approx 40 mph. What harm if any has occured. Do I need to worry? I know I should only drive at low speeds (5 mph) when using the rear locker.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It won't engage or even try to engage unless you are in 4lo. It should be no big deal. Just try not to press the button unless you are planning on using it. Even if it is on and you are in 4lo and shift in to 4HI, it will disengage without even having to push the button.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
It probably wasn't engaged and I wouldn't worry about it unless you noticed a problem. Did you just notice that the button was pushed in/light flashing first or did you discover the problem when the tires chirped going around a corner? Either way, unless you did some serious turning (and you would have noticed it) I wouln't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
It won't engage or even try to engage unless you are in 4lo. It should be no big deal. Just try not to press the button unless you are planning on using it. Even if it is on and you are in 4lo and shift in to 4HI, it will disengage without even having to push the button.
yup, no way to do harm unless in 4 Lo

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
X2 all of the above. The guy was probably just wiping the dashboard. Try push the button as long as you are on 2- hi, light will just blink .

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Electronics are great aren't they. No harm no foul.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
you would know if the locker was actually engaged. it wouldnt turn for poo and it would hop and do all sorts of animal things on pavement.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
ditto!

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
you would know if the locker was actually engaged. it wouldnt turn for poo and it would hop and do all sorts of animal things on pavement.
Oh yeah, it does some pretty wacky stuff on dry pavement. I only made it around the block before I was calling the dealership because I had no clue what was going on. They checked it for me and no damage.

Kim:wave:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yep, no harm done, and if there was, you would most likely notice it.

P.S. Have you checked your gear oil?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
should be fine i had a similair thing happen to a previous vehicle when having the stereo replaced they pushed the 4x4 button by accident the dude pulls out says something is wrong with your car, i got in it drove forward turned the wheel everything was bound up and chirping i was like oh crap than i saw duhhhhhhhhhh the light is on, problem solved.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I guess the cool thing about the 4x2's is you can engage the rear locker if so equiped anytime you want since you don't have low gears. Just push the button. It will over ride the VSC and LSD.:rocker:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts