Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas for locking the spare tire to the back door mount. And yes I have considered the locking lug nuts. Any helpful input appreciated.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The OEM lockers is what I have. My dealer threw them in also. I don't use them on the 4 wheels on the ground. I use 3 of them on the spare. If someone wants a wheel I figure they'd go for the spare first. If they wanted all 5 wheels they'd just steal the whole FJ. I like to be different. :lol:
Welding wasn't an option.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why stop with the spare. Locking lug nuts all around.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alloys. Locking lugs it is...thanks all.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

I would hate to walk out and find my chit gone!:mecry:

Another option no one has mentioned...optional insurance!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Yes that can definately happen Froader. :lol: I garage my rides when at home so seeing that in my driveway in the morning isn't likely to happen. Also, if someone really want's your wheels locking lugs won't stop them if they're pro's. Just like having your ride stolen. A pro will get it no matter what security you have on it. The locking lugs are more of a deterent to the non pro's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Because the tire rotation guys will inevitably bust up the key and nuts. :mecry:
... rotate them yourself? I just rotated my Mickey on Sunday. 20 minutes and thats with the yappy neighbor chit-chatting about the FJ. If the tire guys are breaking your lock lugs (not that you said they were), chances are they're putting your lugs on too tight. No air please, tighten by hand. Or as I put it ... don't touch my FJ fool!

·
Registered
1 Posts
what I used. A masterlock locking trailer hitch pin. I drilled out the existing hole in the spare tire mount to fit the pin snug.Then I cut sleeve to act as a spacer between the back of the tire mount and the locking end of the hitch pin after it was inserted through the wheel and the mount. This takes up any slop so it doesnt rattle.you can reach the lock and the sleeve from behind the tire hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts