Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, our club has to drop off and extract some tamarisk clean up volunteers this weekend in the lockwood valley - perfect excuse for a play!
we are planning a trip up lockwood/miller leaving this saturday evening - camping overnight - leaving sunday when we have to extract the clean up crew, so night runs are on the agenda, and a few beers and some BS sessions around a camp fire. If anyones interested you can post up here or let me know!!

Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm going to make this run on June 30th or 31st (Monday or Tuesday), after dropping the kids at Magic Mountain for the day.
Sorry I can't make this with you guys.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm going to make this run on June 28th, after dropping the kids at Magic Mountain for the day.
Sorry I can't make this with you guys.
im down to go in 1 month.Let me know what time ur going that day..:cheers:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
looks like i'm definitely doing the run on Sunday. should be at the Lockwood trailhead around 8:30am. i'll see if i can get you on the CB, where are you guys camping at?
i would roll again but gas is killing me last week i spent 80 bucks in Gas...:mecry:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am having to change my date to the 30th or 31st (Monday or Tuesday). This run is worth a sick day, ask anyone who has run it. Send PM if interested in Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It nice meeting you Ben, hope you guys made it back down without incident...especially those stock Rovers. As for us, we ended up using some Quicksteel on my buddy's Samurai brake line...stopped the leak. We decided to turn back nonetheless, but for some reason, he still wasn't confident in the brakes, and went down the first few sets of turns in 1st gear and using his hand brake.

Around that turn with the straight away alternate (the same spot he had hung up and broke his brake line), he had too much speed, locked up his tires, hit a berm, flipped onto his driver's side, slided, righted itself, flipped over on the passender side, and rolled down the hill. After 3-4 rolls, the Sammy landed back on its rubber, wedged against a tree. Fortunately, both the driver and passenger walked away with only a few bruises and nerves rattled.

Shout out to the convoy of really well built Jeeps and Land Cruisers that came up 5 minutes after the roll. They immediately came to assist. With one of the Jeeps as an anchor point, and my FJ + another Jeep attached to it, two of the other vehicles used their winches simultaneously to perform the recovery back up the hillside and onto the trail. Those Sammys are tough, she started back up right away and assisted with the recovery back up the hillside, and then drove all the way down the mountain to Flying J's at the 5. She was still badly beaten up windshield and body panel-wise, so my friend decided to get it towed home. Crazy day.

Wear your seat belts, and go slow!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It nice meeting you Ben, hope you guys made it back down without incident...especially those stock Rovers. As for us, we ended up using some Quicksteel on my buddy's Samurai brake line...stopped the leak. We decided to turn back nonetheless, but for some reason, he still wasn't confident in the brakes, and went down the first few sets of turns in 1st gear and using his hand brake.

Around that turn with the straight away alternate (the same spot he had hung up and broke his brake line), he had too much speed, locked up his tires, hit a berm, flipped onto his driver's side, slided, righted itself, flipped over on the passender side, and rolled down the hill. After 3-4 rolls, the Sammy landed back on its rubber, wedged against a tree. Fortunately, both the driver and passenger walked away with only a few bruises and nerves rattled.

Shout out to the convoy of really well built Jeeps and Land Cruisers that came up 5 minutes after the roll. They immediately came to assist. With one of the Jeeps as an anchor point, and my FJ + another Jeep attached to it, two of the other vehicles used their winches simultaneously to perform the recovery back up the hillside and onto the trail. Those Sammys are tough, she started back up right away and assisted with the recovery back up the hillside, and then drove all the way down the mountain to Flying J's at the 5. She was still badly beaten up windshield and body panel-wise, so my friend decided to get it towed home. Crazy day.

Wear your seat belts, and go slow!
Whoa! That is quite a day. I am surprized the engine braking was not enough to slow the decent, but once you are locked up I guess you have no control. Glad to here every one is safe. Post some pics if you can!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
thats good no one got hurt.you cannot go fast on that trail.gotta slow it down..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sounds like someone needed to change their shorts and send up a prayer of thanks.
Glad everyone was ok, bet they are sore today!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive been lazy posting up this report...

I was really bummed to hear about the zook, just happy everyone was ok, when the jeep crew reached us they told us, and it sort of put everyones spirits down a notch.

We had a good run, pretty much noly doing lockwood trail however, as it took us almost 3 and a half hours with those two range rovers in the convoy - and our extraction crew was already witing when we got to the campsite.

Ill be definitly up for another run up there Asap!!

On another note - new range rovers suck. And after smashing in the passenger door, some fancy new pinstripes, and a few undercarriage biffs and bangs both range rovers decided to keep to the pavement.. (ever seen the eyes of a owner of a 900mile 1 week old range rover with a bashed in door relising he has to go home and explain to his wife...)

His quote was the quote of the day as we were airing up after the trail (what sort of idiot brings a 80000 car out on trails with cars like these ) pointing to the fjs...

i however did get to recover three vehicles, a 4runner that couldnt get over the last step, a range rover that couldnt get up a hill, and a 60 that bent a drag link and drove of the side of the mountain..

FJ rules ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts