Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For everyone that drove the Alpine Loop, I’m sure you saw the great looking cabin, with walk-bridge, about 3 miles east of the Engineer Pass summit.

I stopped in Royal Elk Realty in Lake City to ask about it on Monday on my way home to Kansas. The cabin is top quality with each log notched and matched to the adjacent log. A local wood worker constructed the cabin. It was constructed with a crane on site, as there was a driveway up from the road below. The realtor said there are log cabins and then there are log cabins of Maserati quality. This is one built of Maserati quality. The driveway was removed and the land reshaped to look natural after construction was complete.

The cabin has solar panels that charge batteries to run a water well pump. The stove and refrigerator are powered by propane. The propane bullets are buried and the connection for filing is somewhere near the road where the driveway was. The log home is completely insulated and designer quality inside. The realtor thought the cabin was livable 4-5 months per year, depending when the first heavy snow fell. The cabin has a wood stove for heat and there are 4 cords of wood stack in the back. There is no electricity run to the cabin and any electrical source would be supplied by the solar panels.

I forgot to ask the year the cabin was built, but it looks to be no more than 10-12 years old. The lady selling the cabin recently dropped the price from $695 K to $645 K. This may be the highest asking price of a home without electricity in America.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i remember driving past that place last year, man it looked nice

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
Thanks for researching this. Lots of Summiteers were curious about it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I loved that cabin. I know exactly which one you are talking about. I saw it at the first summit.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
ya, I always wonder about that place all these years driving past it and just never remember to check into it later.
So, thanks for sharing the info you dug up on it, bud. :cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I saw that one at the first summit, thought I had a photo of it but can't find it. It was an impressive setup; wasn't so sure about the suspension bridge though.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
KLD. Thanks for posting this. My wife and I saw this place a few years back and were amazed that someone had built it there. Very expensive with very seasonal access and a constant string of vehicles and dust during the summer days. A cool place in an odd (but beautiful) location. Maybe the group could buy it as FJ Summit hedquarters! Think they would take 40K for it?
Intresting info. Good seeing you at the summit. Thank you for the years of contributions on this forum

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Buy it and make up your money with a beer stand out front. Or...

Have people pay to do a reinactment of the suspension bridge scene in Raiders of the Lost Arc

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
We used to camp about a 1/2 mile from there, so imagine our suprise when that showed up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This is the house :-D

thanks for all the info on it :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts