Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for anyone who has this system installed on their rig or knowledge of the system and its maintenance. I'm coming up on my 2 year initial warranty period of LoJack installed on my FJC with the Early Warning Recovery System. LoJack wants to charge me $80 to inspect the system for proper performance. Is there a battery that needs to be replaced on the unit hidden in the truck? If not is this inspection really necessary? I already replaced the batteries in the 2 key passes they give you . Thanks in advance. Roma

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We have this too and they keep sending us stuff to extend the warranty on the thing, they just want $$$, they say if your vehicle is stolen and the system fails they will not cover the theft. But I say if they just want to make some risidual $$, and scare us.. If the product has failure we should be notified and it should be recalled/replaced. Next trip to the dealer (where it was installed) i will have them check it, see if it is working properly. thanks for reminding me. We do not have the system that calls us first, we have the plain old lojack.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sandabbe, I had mine dealer installed also but blew the extra $300 for the Early Warning Recovery System where they call you. Thought it was a good idea in case the vehicle is ripped off out of my garage while on vacation. Reading the warranty fine print sounds like if you don't get it inspected after the 2 year period you're not covered anymore. That's why I'm wondering if there's a battery involved in the main unit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
in the papers they sent us is states the tracking system (unless it is broke) will still activate, or be able to be activated by them when called by the police or us, but i am still going to see the dealer about it, we are just 2 weeks out of the 2 year mark. I think it is just a chip, but with offroading and the likes i would like to see if it is still working! They want to sell us 1, 2 or 3 year extended warranty! for $$$$, about half of what we paid for the original thing! i bet next they will start offering monthly service agreements like the home security places do.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not due until June so if you could please post here what your dealer had to say about it. I'd like to have some knowledge before I go in for service. Thanks Again.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Hm...I'm debating on getting Lojack or the Viper GPS...I like Lojack, but I hear in Atlanta it only works in about 20% of the area...where as viper is everywhere and I can start it up via my phone and do pretty much anything else as well as find exactly where it is at all times, even SHUT the car down from my cell phone if it gets stolen\hotwired...decisions o_O

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
There is a battery backup that needs replaced after 2 years or so. This is part of the service. It's worth it.

The Early Warning System has a small key fob that. if it is not in the car when you drive off, will alert LoJack. LoJack will call a number you gave them with a recorded message stating your car (FJ) is driving off without the fob in it. So, if you have no idea your FJ is driving off, you can call Police a lot sooner and have more of a chance of getting your truck back in 1 piece.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the LoJack system installed as well and I'd like to point out a few things.

They can NOT run your LoJack off of the car battery or a thief could just disconnect the battery and be free and clear.

Any stand-alone battery system has to run down eventually, hence they need to check the system periodically to verify it is still operational.

If they tapped into the car electrical system to keep the battery charged, it would be much easier to track the unit down.

The dealer has nothing to do with your LoJack installation other than providing the LoJack tech a place to perform the install. It was explained to me quite clearly that ONLY a certified LoJack technician would have any idea where the unit was hidden on my truck. They have a number of "secret spots" that they hide them in so that a thief can not just rip it out.

I'll happily pay the maintenance and renewal fees when mine comes up, or I throw away the money spent on this service in the first place.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave and skorp62, Thanks for the heads up guys. I figured the hidden sending unit had to have a battery but wanted to ask here to get a straight up answer. I will go for the 2 year service but I'm glad to now know that I don't have to go back to the dealer to have it done. Now I'd like to ask another question about the Early Warning Recovery System. After reading the manual again it states if the vehicle is moved without the key pass they will alert you. OK, so how far does the vehicle have to be moved without the key pass before they send out an alert to you? The reason I'm asking is that I tired moving my rig at work without the key pass to see if I would get an alert but nothing happened. Does it have to be moved miles before an alert is sounded?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If Dave says its good then, Im sure lo-jack is great. I hear on my scanner every day lo-jack hits. LAPD is doing a super job catching the low-lifes who take cars.

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
I put LoJack in every one of my vehicles. Not only does it increase the chance of the crap-bag getting caught, but I get an insurance deduction as well!! I love these things. I just will not pay the $800 the STEALERSHIP wants to charge for making an appointment with the installer. The cost (last year) on a standard, base LoJack unit was $250. I will not pay over $350 (I agree that the stealership is in business for a profit....just not a KILLING!). Catching a LoJack equipped vehicle is so much fun!! Especially if it leads us to a chop-shop or the Port of L.A., where we get the more senior doods shipping and stripping.

Anyways, to answer your last question, it does need to be moved more than a certain amount of feet. I won't say, so I won't give away a nice little bit of info, but it does need to be moved a bit before it calls your phone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Catching a LoJack equipped vehicle is so much fun!!
Dave, I'm glad to hear that the system works and the A-hole thieves get caught! I have it fitted to my new FJ TT. So is there anyone here that has had a vehicle recovered using Lojack? I would love to hear how fast the process was and if they feel that it performed how Lojack promise in the brochure blurb. I have no alarm fitted because I love the idea of the bastards getting caught red-handed with no clue they were being tracked.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Do people actually get vehicles back, in usable condition, out there? Here you won't want it back after it's stolen, that is if it's ever seen again. Our chop shop guys have folks on the payroll.. Thats what my friends at the PD told me when my Rubicon disappeared. Ron

Dave, I'm glad to hear that the system works and the A-hole thieves get caught! I have it fitted to my new FJ TT. So is there anyone here that has had a vehicle recovered using Lojack? I would love to hear how fast the process was and if they feel that it performed how Lojack promise in the brochure blurb. I have no alarm fitted because I love the idea of the bastards getting caught red-handed with no clue they were being tracked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do people actually get vehicles back, in usable condition, out there? Here you won't want it back after it's stolen, that is if it's ever seen again.
Hey Kokopelli I'm hoping that the lojack system will get them pulled by the CHP or Sheriff before they reach the chop shop or get a chance to go trash it! That's why I'm curious to see how fast it works.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure if there is any defense against punk kids!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
I put LoJack in every one of my vehicles. Not only does it increase the chance of the crap-bag getting caught, but I get an insurance deduction as well!! I love these things. I just will not pay the $800 the STEALERSHIP wants to charge for making an appointment with the installer. The cost (last year) on a standard, base LoJack unit was $250. I will not pay over $350 (I agree that the stealership is in business for a profit....just not a KILLING!). Catching a LoJack equipped vehicle is so much fun!! Especially if it leads us to a chop-shop or the Port of L.A., where we get the more senior doods shipping and stripping.

Anyways, to answer your last question, it does need to be moved more than a certain amount of feet. I won't say, so I won't give away a nice little bit of info, but it does need to be moved a bit before it calls your phone.
Thanks for this info, Dave! Where can I get LoJack installed for that price??? I paid $750 on my last vehicle. :flame:

M

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure if there is any defense against punk kids!
yup... there is, a mean ass dog and quick reflexes to get up and check when the dog starts acting wierd. ive had the pleasure of standing on a kids head while the old lady called the cops because the a$$holes were trying to break into my garage. they buggered up my door but one didnt get away.

get a big dog

smk...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts