Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI.

I just came back from toppings path (see the location). There's rumor that the trail has been closed recently but I couldn't find any official signs of restriction or regulation. It has three or four swamps and mostly covered with soil and sand. I even saw footprints of other vehicles :wave: probably passed by this morning.

toppings path, calverton - Google Maps

From the starting point, you can see the path goes all the way down to the Rt 111 and finally meets Rt 51. If you want, you can try Hot Water Street :flame: crossing the toppings path at the 2/3 from starting point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like that path should have more than three or four swamps after the last two days of Biblical rain we've had!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like that path should have more than three or four swamps after the last two days of Biblical rain we've had!
Hope so :)

One hint :thinkerg:
you better get out of the trail once you meet the route 111.
Exit to Route 51 is halfway blocked by trunks of trees.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hope so :)

One hint :thinkerg:
you better get out of the trail once you meet the route 111.
Exit to Route 51 is halfway blocked by trunks of trees.
What's the details about these roads - Are they legal for offroading? Permit needed? What type of terrain? Mud, sand or solid? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
What's the details about these roads - Are they legal for offroading? Permit needed? What type of terrain? Mud, sand or solid? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
there is no legal offroading on LI everything is private county or state owned...
i guess is at your own risk..havent you guys tried longwood rd yet...place is huge and is easy to hide if you have to

·
Registered
60 Posts
there is no legal offroading on LI everything is private county or state owned...
i guess is at your own risk..havent you guys tried longwood rd yet...place is huge and is easy to hide if you have to
Very true, there is not a square foot of legal offroading here on the Island. Back a few years ago when I was two-wheeling it, it got to be too much of a hassle to find good trails and not get spotted.
When they catch a bike or a quad it's immediate impound.
I have no idea what they'd do if they came across a few FJs toolin' though the mud puddles out on Topping Path.
Could just hide the GPS and say I took a wrong turn!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very true, there is not a square foot of legal offroading here on the Island. Back a few years ago when I was two-wheeling it, it got to be too much of a hassle to find good trails and not get spotted.
When they catch a bike or a quad it's immediate impound.
I have no idea what they'd do if they came across a few FJs toolin' though the mud puddles out on Topping Path.
Could just hide the GPS and say I took a wrong turn!
mmm...
nowhere to offroading except beaches meaning no swamps..

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you're into fishing and are looking for free bait in the form of bunker fish, you just gotta head out to Riverhead ASAP. I estimate that 10's of thousands of them are self trapped in the river's head in downtown Riverhead. Seems, according to the local fishermen and townsfolk that the blue fish chase after them and every three or four years trap them in the fresh water river in town. See the pix I took today.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wow thats a lot of fish....

As for Hot Water street I thought that trail was shut down years ago I guess the local kids on the ATV's and Dirt Bike's got it going again... the cops use to be all over that trail last time I was back there must be almost 10 years now....

I know they would impound the bikes if they caught you... I use to ride along 27 east between the manorville and Hampton bays exits and I was chased a by cops a lot....

Anyone know what they would do if they catch an FJ in there??

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow thats a lot of fish....

As for Hot Water street I thought that trail was shut down years ago I guess the local kids on the ATV's and Dirt Bike's got it going again... the cops use to be all over that trail last time I was back there must be almost 10 years now....

I know they would impound the bikes if they caught you... I use to ride along 27 east between the manorville and Hampton bays exits and I was chased a by cops a lot....

Anyone know what they would do if they catch an FJ in there??
They pose and take a picture with your FJ? :thinkerg:

·
Registered
500 Posts
If they catch you just ask them if they want to jump in and go for a ride, though that could be considered bribing :\

·
Registered
498 Posts
If they catch you just ask them if they want to jump in and go for a ride, though that could be considered bribing :\
Ha maybe??? I dont even know how to look it up...maybe call the police station but that would be calling more attention to the subject....

·
Registered
289 Posts
An update of sorts about Toppings Path. I was at the Tuesday night car show in the parking lot at Bald Hill last night (Brookhaven township amphitheatre.) I was talking to a guy who owns a Jeep Cherokee and it was covered with mud. I asked him where that happened and he said, Toppings Path. He told me that it's primarily a road used for hunting. He also said that as long as you stay on the path, you shouldn't be hassled by anyone. Thought you'd like to know.

·
Registered
498 Posts
An update of sorts about Toppings Path. I was at the Tuesday night car show in the parking lot at Bald Hill last night (Brookhaven township amphitheatre.) I was talking to a guy who owns a Jeep Cherokee and it was covered with mud. I asked him where that happened and he said, Toppings Path. He told me that it's primarily a road used for hunting. He also said that as long as you stay on the path, you shouldn't be hassled by anyone. Thought you'd like to know.
Thanks for the update! Let me know if any of you guys are headed that way....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the update! Let me know if any of you guys are headed that way....
I've got the next couple Friday's off if someone's interested in checking it out. Don't want to go very far so this might be the ticket. :) I've been wanting to to do some mild offroading in my "other ride"

Amity

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've got the next couple Friday's off if someone's interested in checking it out. Don't want to go very far so this might be the ticket. :) I've been wanting to to do some mild offroading in my "other ride"

Amity
Do you have today off? or do you want to check it out after work?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts