Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great trip report!! I am trying to plan this same trip next summer and have a few questions?

How high did gas per gallon/liter get in Canada and Alaska?

Was the gas station close enough together where you didn't need to carry extra gas and were the gas station hours a factor?

If there is any other factors you can think of please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great trip report!! I am trying to plan this same trip next summer and have a few questions?

How high did gas per gallon/liter get in Canada and Alaska?

Was the gas station close enough together where you didn't need to carry extra gas and were the gas station hours a factor?

If there is any other factors you can think of please let me know.
Gas prices: I tried hard not to pay too much attention. Something I'd got used to owning an FJ :) In all seriousness, figure it's routinely about 50% more in Canada. And whether Canada or Alaska, it gets more expensive the further you get from big towns, as you'd expect.

Gas availability vs. range: wasn't a problem on our route. I wasn't sure if it was going to be, so typically topped off more frequently than needed when passing remote gas stations. One thing I had my eye on that we didn't do was the Dalton Highway up to Deadhorse. For that I'd want to carry an extra five gallons to have a bit of wiggle room.

Essential background reading: if you're thinking about this trip, get a copy of The Milepost. It has extremely detailed information about what you'll find on each route, plus a bunch of background information and color that'll help you figure out which way you want to go and what you want to see. If you have a copilot it really comes into its own once you're up in Canada in the middle of nowhere, making it easy to plan gas, food and sightseeing stops. If you're planning to camp, I'd suggest a copy of Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping as well. It covers a lot of the same geography as the Milepost, but has more detail on individual campgrounds layout and facilities.

For gear...

We found a hitch cargo rack was really handy for additional cargo space. Our Yeti Tundra cooler did the whole trip strapped back there. We had that mounted on a Yakima Backswing which swings out 90 degrees and locks. That gave us full access to the FJ cargo area when stopped. It was a last minute addition before we left, but having used it I'd consider it invaluable if you're going the hitch mount rack route. Would have been way more annoying to have to unpack and tiptoe around the hitch rack to get into the back of the FJ.

In the back of the FJ, I jury rigged a cargo shelf out of plywood, with a couple of storage bins underneath. Turned out handy to have a storage bin each, separate from general camping gear.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is so awesome! I just love the scenery in BC, great job with the photos!
Very inspiring to make this trip myself, and good notes mentioned above.

What will be your next big trip?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is so awesome! I just love the scenery in BC, great job with the photos!
Very inspiring to make this trip myself, and good notes mentioned above.

What will be your next big trip?
Not sure yet. Though I recall there being some mumbling about Ushuaia while we were on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply and great info!

We drove coast(California) to coast(Maine) last year and I hope we can do the Alaska road trip soon!

·
Desert Moderator
6,014 Posts
Wow! That's been on my bucket list for so long, now I have to make it happen.

Does anyone know what the rules are for temporary import of a vehicle are for the US & Canada?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts