Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I hate stopping every 200 miles to refuel & I drive a lot. Should I just pull the trigger on a long range tank and be done with it? Benefits being not worrying about as many stops during the week and no worries when out on the trail is just a bonus.....

Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
here you go:

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Do it! Best thing I've ever done to my truck. Getting 600-700 miles per tank, especially if it is your daily, will change how you drive. Worth every penny IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
No. Sounds like you are spending $$$$ just to save 10 min for a fuel stop during daily driving. But your not saving any time because now you are filling the main tank and the aux tank.
Off road - I guess it depends on how much time you spend off road and how far you go.
Cool factor - heck ya

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would love an auxiliary tank, but we need options! Aerospace-grade aluminum is great and all, but steel or plastic options matching OEM specs would be more than sufficient for most drivers, including myself.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
The reason why the existing aftermarket aux tanks are made from aluminum is that it is by far the lowest cost way to make them, in the low quantities they sell at.

My main incentive for adding one (haven't yet, but promising myself, "soon, soon!"), is for less range anxiety. There are areas with few enough gas stations that it becomes necessary to keep extra track of the status and re-fill early, like when the small tank still has a lot in it, before proceeding, because it will be more than 100 miles to the next town. Those times especially it would be appreciated.

Regarding fill time, it would just be nice to not have to stop and do it so often, even if the larger capacity would make the actual fill time almost as long (only have to get off and stop, half as often).

Norm "performance endurance anxiety" Kerr

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
I was checking out the Australian 110 liter auxiliary tanks but after seeing how far they hang down I decided no. I just wheel too much to take the chance on bashing the thing to pieces.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I think it would be nice just to get out and stretch after being in the FJ for 200 miles. When I`m on a trail and thought I might need extra fuel I just took a couple of 5 gallon cans. Extra tank is not worth the cost at least to me :)

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
With my gearing and wheel weight I get 12-13 no matter what so that leaves me at 235-250 roughly per tank but I do carry a 4 gallon jerrycan on the swing out so that gets me to almost 300 and that’s plenty.
I can drive frugally drive and squeeze 15-16 but that’s at 45-50 and that ain’t happening. 😎

I could use the second can for fuel giving me 350 total but I really like using it for water.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
G'Day,
Even Down Under, Aux tanks are not cheap.....but well worth it ..when you are out back ....
I fitted an OE Aux tank years ago, 2nd hand (total cost fitted was about A$1100) ...that came out of a 2013 FJ...owner was swapping to LPG / dual fuel...
600-800 mile range makes it worth while.....I also had to upgrade my rear coils to carry the extra weight...3 inch Icon overland HD....which carries the weight well...
It is worth it, if you do lots of miles....remotely....or hate filling up constantly.....

Cheers
Baz

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
G'Day,
Even Down Under, Aux tanks are not cheap.....but well worth it ..when you are out back ....
I fitted an OE Aux tank years ago, 2nd hand (total cost fitted was about A$1100) ...that came out of a 2013 FJ...owner was swapping to LPG / dual fuel...
600-800 mile range makes it worth while.....I also had to upgrade my rear coils to carry the extra weight...3 inch Icon overland HD....which carries the weight well...
It is worth it, if you do lots of miles....remotely....or hate filling up constantly.....

Cheers
Baz
Now I could get serious about LPG, especially down here where LNG is starting to take hold.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
One of my favorite upgrades.

Not only extends range, but lowers center of gravity and takes it reward where the FJ is light. Makes steep downhills with less nose dive, off camber less tippy. It takes upgraded springs and you can always run it empty if weight is an issue. Flicking a switch while rolling vs. fishing nozzles out of cans and holding them while they drain for 4-5 gallons a container? The buy in is big, performance great.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I installed an early Man-A-Fre aux tank. Best mod ever. It’s not for everyone. Takes a while to fill both tanks, and you’ll throw codes once in a while. I have 150,000 miles on it (170k on the FJ) and I would do it again in a minute.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put the order in for one. Probably have to modify my Borla dual exhaust for it to fit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts