Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I read up in the latest issue of Dirt Sports magazine about this new Long travel suspension by KORE performance. Long travel that stay's within the stock fenders.. no need for 'glass fenders.

I know.. I was stumped too.

They only have it in development for the Ram 1500, F-150, and Tundra.

Maybe the concept will be available for us one day?

Read it.. cus i don't know how to explain it . :rocker:

Thinking Inside the Box - Dirt Sports

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Well that seems pretty cool

All they did was use an aftermarket style upper arm and a custom spring. then they used a very specific type of inner cv joint to make it all work. There was no mention of an aftermarket shock though, if I read correctly...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
This is one of those times when I'd like to see AND DRIVE a rig with this installed before I'd ever consider doing it. What happens to highway performance characteristics? Many of us drive our rigs to get to the play areas as well as using them around town.

They don't have them for the FJ yet -- wait and see.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Wonder how much they're getting?

Hmmmm. If I took that amount of money, applied it toward a piggy bank SFA fund, ..........

Great idea. Would love to see it in action. Want to see the articulation with IFS.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
If its made by Kore, I'm sure it performs well. The things they've done to full sized Dodge's are amazing. I'm not a dodge fan, but seeing a full size diesel hitting zoo road sized whoops at 60mph is something to behold.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Porsche 930CV axle really interests me.. Some serious thought went behind this.

What i like is how is doesn't increase track width. Because now we who run those tight trails won't have to deal with the super wideness of it all.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Pretty cool, but reading about the importance of the light spring leads me to believe this setup won't work to well for us guys with aftermarket bumpers, winches, dual batt., etc. You need a pretty light front end for this system to work properly. Maybe the additional travel will absorb the weight but I'm guessing you will need to adjust the preload too much to get proper ride height and this will render the suspension ineffective. Maybe if I switch to a light weight winch, tube bumper and move the battery to the rear. :) It will be interesting to see this system develop. Thanks for the post Dom.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Guys we can get 10.25" of travel with aftermarket upper A-arms and Icon's. When JDemello redid TCao's front end they measured it out with Kings and Icon's from Full bump to full drop thats a 2.37" difference from stock and only .75" from what KORE gets from there set ups. Total Chaos long travel you get 13". When you look at it what we can get from a set of Icons and upper a-arms is pretty good, through on a set of air bumps or chubbys with that and your golden.

Stock travel =7.88"
Icon and UCA =10.25" (this was taken with there standard coil over not the extended travel one)
Total Chaos LT =13.00"

See post 191 for the measurements and JD also has a nice post to read #208
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/35681-tc-s-fjc-20.html

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys we can get 10.25" of travel with aftermarket upper A-arms and Icon's. When JDemello redid TCao's front end they measured it out with Kings and Icon's from Full bump to full drop thats a 2.37" difference from stock and only .75" from what KORE gets from there set ups. Total Chaos long travel you get 13". When you look at it what we can get from a set of Icons and upper a-arms is pretty good, through on a set of air bumps or chubbys with that and your golden.

Stock travel =7.88"
Icon and UCA =10.25" (this was taken with there standard coil over not the extended travel one)
Total Chaos LT =13.00"

See post 191 for the measurements and JD also has a nice post to read #208
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/35681-tc-s-fjc-20.html

Well there you have it.. Thanks Josh. :lol:

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Well there you have it.. Thanks Josh. :lol:

:bigthumb:
No problem. But I should add you can't get that much travel because you have 35" tires now, and that will limit your up travel some. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hmmm... a 930 CV joint? That seems a bit undersized for a vehicle of this magnitude. The 930 CV was designed for a street car weighing less than 3,000 pounds, but now you want to put it on a vehicle weighing 4,500-7,500 pounds and take it wheeling? Seems like a bit much. I know that the after market 930 CV's are built and prepped well, but that's still a lot of loading on a CV meant for a light weight street car or really light weight low horsepower sand car (I'm using these on my sand rail). Who knows, maybe they're a bit stronger than the factory FJ's, but I doubt it. Maybe they could wedge a bigger CV in there.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hmmm... a 930 CV joint? That seems a bit undersized for a vehicle of this magnitude. The 930 CV was designed for a street car weighing less than 3,000 pounds, but now you want to put it on a vehicle weighing 4,500-7,500 pounds and take it wheeling? Seems like a bit much. I know that the after market 930 CV's are built and prepped well, but that's still a lot of loading on a CV meant for a light weight street car or really light weight low horsepower sand car (I'm using these on my sand rail). Who knows, maybe they're a bit stronger than the factory FJ's, but I doubt it. Maybe they could wedge a bigger CV in there.
This seems to be the CV of choice...for any off-road vehicle [according to the aftermarket companies that sell them ;)]. I've not looked closely at them...or their design. I assume they live up to the hype...or they'd be booted in favor of something else. If they are of a Porsche design or are a direct lift, then I would bet that they'd be okay in the FJ. Porsches put out a lot of HP and a fair amount of Torque. Even though they are relatively light, the have a lot of grip and power...and seem to stand up to a crazy amount of abuse. What's curious is that in their native habitat, the Porsche CV's would never see much work at severe angles. I'll have to look at them closer...I'm curious now. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't get me wrong, they are a good CV for many applications. Like I said, I'm using them on my prerunner buggy. (Granted that thing hasn't seen much love recently.) However, most buggy manufactures don't use the 930 cv's in v-8 applications or higher torque v-6 rails. Those buggy's only weigh in at 2,000 pounds plus or minus. That's actually how I got my rear suspension and drive train. The previous owner was upgrading to 934's.

I'm thinking that the manufactures that use the CV in these applications believe that because the load is theoretically shared between the front and rear axles that the front CV's should see only ~1/2 the load. I don't know about you but I don't alway like to have four tires on the ground at once. Obviously the company has done a lot of testing on their setup. It just seems seat of the pants a little compared to other applications. I also recognize that they specified the limitations of their use.

KORE looks like they've spent the time developing their product. I would like to see more products from this line of thinking. I was just questioning the CV size that they are using. Not intended to be criticism.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I must have missed in the article what they are going to do about the steering because that will bind as well. I have seen some bolt in coil over’s that bind the stock steering.

I think it's a pretty cool idea but I wonder on a FJ how much more they are going to get out of the FJ. I don't know how well the CV's will hold up but I would think they would hold up better than stock.

The T/C kit on Todd’s truck doesn't get 13in his gets some where around 11.5in it's limited by the large tires and the fenders.

I'm curious to see there Tundra kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts