Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my FJ with Nitto M/T's and while they are nice to have, I would rather be equipped with a less noisy and more gas conscious alternative for daily use. Looking at Nitto RG and BFG K02's. My current wheel size is a 16 with the TRD black alloys (don't really want to get rid of these). With that said, I have found both types of tires in 285/75r16 but the load range on both is E. The K02's have a size variant which is 275/70r16 in a load range 'D' that would satisfy my criteria except that there is a decent decrease in size. I hear that the D load can be a 1-2 mpg saver based on weight. Going by looks alone, if I have a 3 inch lift, would the 275's create too large of a space in between the tread and wheel well and look crappy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run 285/75/16's Nitto's on the same rim and the same lift. I personally want to up it to 295/75/16 and either switch to BFG or Toyo because I think the 285's are border line too small and the Nitto's dont grab the ground like I want them too. So to answer your question I think the 275's would look to small (for my taste that is). Everyone's opinion is different but that's mine. I know I'll sacrifice mileage but I only commute 15 minutes to work and I want my rig to look like a tank. Hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
59 Posts
when I had my 3" lift installed I still had 275/70/17 BFG's which looked very small. I now run 295/75/16. If you are manually calculating your mpg's have you factored in that the speedometer AND the odometer aren't reading correct with larger than factory wheels?

The D vs E weight difference getting an extra 1-2mpg sounds like a wives tale. The lift and larger diameter tires are the gas mileage killers...not that the FJ is good on gas stock anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts